Turpentine questions

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Turpentine questions

June 11th, 2006, 4:40 am #1

I'm about to start using Mig pigments and need turpentine. What is a good brand of turpentine to buy in the US that works well with pigments? I'm working with 1:72 scale models if that matters.

Also, doesn't turpentine cause problems with the base coat of paint?

Turpentine = Bad, Turpenoid = Good

June 11th, 2006, 1:15 pm #2

Try finding Turpenoid. Walmart craft section or just about any craft store should have it. It is way less costic than turpentine. I have had turpentine not only eat my base coat of paint but also removed quite abit of glued on parts as well. Very bad expieriance, trying to keep parts from going down the drain as I franticly tried rinsing off the turpentine before it did more damage.

I have never had a problem with turpenoid, but I always spray gloss, add decals, spray gloss, than spray dull coat than turpenoid/oil washes.

HTH,
Mark

Just be sure...

June 11th, 2006, 4:54 pm #3

...if you go the turpenoid route to get "turpenoid" and not "turpenoid natural". The turpenoid natural is a totally different creature and should NEVER be used for applying washes, pigments, etc. (unfortunately I know this from experience )

Mike

Turpenoid

June 11th, 2006, 5:27 pm #4

I'm about to start using Mig pigments and need turpentine. What is a good brand of turpentine to buy in the US that works well with pigments? I'm working with 1:72 scale models if that matters.

So Turpenoid will work fine with Mig pigments? I was going to apply the turpentine (or turpenoid) over the pigment from what I read in an article about Mig pigments.

Turpinoid and Mig Powders

June 11th, 2006, 7:52 pm #5

I've had success with Turpinoid and Mig Powders. FWIW, Mig bottles his "own" special thinner for powders, but I suspect it's similar to Turpinoid.

If you're mixing powders and turpinoid, remember that a little (powder and washing) goes a long way, and it's reallly difficult, if not impossible to see the effects until it dries. I learned from experience that if you think you don't have enough, do NOT add more while still wet. You can always add more coats, and it's easy to overdue it.

Good luck,

Mike Carroll

Turpenoid with the Blue/White lable

June 12th, 2006, 1:50 pm #6

...if you go the turpenoid route to get "turpenoid" and not "turpenoid natural". The turpenoid natural is a totally different creature and should NEVER be used for applying washes, pigments, etc. (unfortunately I know this from experience )

Mike
Is the stuff to get. Its made by Weber and sold in art shops. The BAD stuff comes with a green lable.
DAVID NICKELS

MIG thinner

June 12th, 2006, 1:53 pm #7

I've had success with Turpinoid and Mig Powders. FWIW, Mig bottles his "own" special thinner for powders, but I suspect it's similar to Turpinoid.

If you're mixing powders and turpinoid, remember that a little (powder and washing) goes a long way, and it's reallly difficult, if not impossible to see the effects until it dries. I learned from experience that if you think you don't have enough, do NOT add more while still wet. You can always add more coats, and it's easy to overdue it.

Good luck,

Mike Carroll
Smells, feels and seems to be the same refined mineral spirits as Testors brush cleaner/thinner. Excpet the MIG bottle is $11 USD.
DAVID NICKELS

Same stuff to me...

June 12th, 2006, 8:24 pm #8

Dave, I agree that is what it is. But works well. Dmitry

Dmitry Kiyatkin
Baltimore, Maryland
http://www.ww2models.com

Thanks!

June 13th, 2006, 3:47 am #9

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will be getting some turpenoid to use instead of turpentine. Checked a couple hardware stores in my area tonight and none had or even heard of it before. Will try a Michaels craft store tomorrow and a few other craft/art stores to try and find it.

MIG Thinner

June 13th, 2006, 6:28 am #10

Dear Trevor

If you follow the link below you will find that the MIG thinner (PS.239) is currently available only in 75ml bottles. These 75ml bottles retail for 4.2€, which is around the same in US dollars. I have no idea where Dave is getting $11.

http://www.migproductions.com/paginas%2 ... gments.htm

If you click on the picture you will find I bit more information about this product.

Thank you and please inform me of any further questions you might have.
ANPW