Trumpeter Type 62 Light Tank

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Trumpeter Type 62 Light Tank

July 6th, 2015, 11:58 am #1

Be still my heart, after long last per Facebook Trumpeter to release a PLA Type 62 Light Tank in 1/35. Oh to have a Type 63 Amphibious tank to follow...

GJB

July 6th, 2015, 12:02 pm #2

July 6th, 2015, 12:27 pm #3

Well done Trumpeter. It's nice to have prototype tanks but to have models of tanks that have been used in combat makes much more sense. The Type 62 was used in the Sino-Vietnam war in the 70s and in other conflicts in Africa. I have no doubt that we will have a Type 63 coming as well.
This is a great time for modern tank modellers!
Thanks Trumpeter and other model makers.
Gordon

July 6th, 2015, 8:31 pm #4

Be still my heart, after long last per Facebook Trumpeter to release a PLA Type 62 Light Tank in 1/35. Oh to have a Type 63 Amphibious tank to follow...

GJB
I've been hoping for one of these for darn near ever! I have the Warriors African tankers sets all ready to do a Tanzanian Type 62 Light during the invasion of Uganda in the late '70's. The Type 63 Amphib would also find it's way on my plate eventually.

Happy Days,
Roy

July 6th, 2015, 10:41 pm #5

GJB
assuming this is just a straight copy of the T-62 made in China... why 'Light Tank'?? is this just a mis-translation or did/does China classify it's tanks differently i.e. as this would be a Main Battle Tank for most nations?

July 6th, 2015, 10:55 pm #6

I've been hoping for one of these for darn near ever! I have the Warriors African tankers sets all ready to do a Tanzanian Type 62 Light during the invasion of Uganda in the late '70's. The Type 63 Amphib would also find it's way on my plate eventually.

Happy Days,
Roy
Hi Roy,
Similar plan although the road wheels would be a problem. There are at least two different styles of road wheels, one per the box art that look similar to single piece T-54/T-55 wheels, the others like those on the Type 63 Amphibious Tank and Type YW531 APC series...

While on the subject of Tanzanian Type 62's...anyone seen any color shots from the war with Uganda? They have a circle ID marking in either white or maybe yellow(?). Any confirmation?

GJB

July 6th, 2015, 11:06 pm #7

assuming this is just a straight copy of the T-62 made in China... why 'Light Tank'?? is this just a mis-translation or did/does China classify it's tanks differently i.e. as this would be a Main Battle Tank for most nations?
It's a Type 62, 2 different vehicles. Some quick research on line might get you some answers. https://www.google.com/#q=type+62+light+tank

July 6th, 2015, 11:10 pm #8

"assuming" something: chances are that you may be wrong.
In this case, you are.
The chinese Type 62 is not a copy of the russian T-62 tank.
It barely ressembles a "mini-type 59/T-55".

If you take a closer look at the box-art -or even better, at actual pics of the tank- you'll notice that the hull is smaller than the Type 59 one, the tracks are narrower, the turret is also smaller. Another huge difference is that the Type 62 is equipped with the chinese 62-85TC 85mm main gun.

And the total wieght is about 21 tons, far lighter than a T-62.

July 6th, 2015, 11:12 pm #9

Type 62 has no relationship to the Soviet T-62 tank It's similar to a shrunk down T-54 but armed with a 85 mm Type 62-85TC rifled main gun, same gun as on Type 63 Light Ambhibious Tank.

GJB

July 7th, 2015, 1:15 am #10

Hi Roy,
Similar plan although the road wheels would be a problem. There are at least two different styles of road wheels, one per the box art that look similar to single piece T-54/T-55 wheels, the others like those on the Type 63 Amphibious Tank and Type YW531 APC series...

While on the subject of Tanzanian Type 62's...anyone seen any color shots from the war with Uganda? They have a circle ID marking in either white or maybe yellow(?). Any confirmation?

GJB
Though they must be available somewhere. The war was relatively well covered (for an African war) by the media and I suspect there might be film or video footage in colour somewhere. I'll keep a look out and let you know here if I spot anything useful. The Bronco YW531 type wheels could be used as a source if Trumpeter doesn't oblige and the after-market scene doesn't come through. I'm not too worried just yet and I'm pretty thrilled to finally have an angle on this long-time-desired project.

FWIW, I do have a black and white photo of a Forces Armees Zairoise Type 62 from 1996 with a round circle ID device on the turret side. I wonder if the Helion and Company "Africa @ War" series has anything on Tanzanian Type 62 tanks?

By the way George, I was looking at my Tanks Illustrated #10 "D-Day Tank Battles" just the other day and I have several other books with your name on the spine--- thanks for all you've done for us duffers!

Cheers,
Roy