Trumpeter KV-1 M1941 "Small Turret" finished

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Trumpeter KV-1 M1941 "Small Turret" finished

August 15th, 2012, 9:53 pm #1

This is one of my projects, that came to stop because of the Medical Services Group Build. I've finished it recently. It is a nice and simple model kit and straightforward build. I built it out of box just for practicing the "hairspray method". This is the result:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I wanted to achieve the look of a worn off winter camouflage. For wheathering I used pastel chalks.

Best regards
Marc
"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)

August 16th, 2012, 10:27 am #2

Marc,

This is a very attractive and effective model. I think it convincingly captures the appearance of a winter finish as it begins to wear off.

What is the hairspray method that you mention?

Gordon McLaughlin

August 19th, 2012, 8:51 pm #3

Dear Gordon,

I'm sorry that you had to wait so long for my answer. I had a few days vacation, relaxing without cellphone and internet and all that kind of stuff. It sure brings you back to life, I tell you!

Thank you for your kind words.

"Haispray method": first you paint the model with the basic colour. After it has dried you spray a coat of hairspray onto the model. Then you paint the second colour, when it has dried, you take a stiff brush, dip it into warm water and then brush and tap the brush over the second colour until it comes off.

I had problems with the base coat of colour, I used water soluble paint (Revell Aqua Color) and it seems that it reacted to the hairspray - in some spots it came off too. Maybe it might be better to use enamel paint for the base coat.

I hope this helps!

Best regards
Marc
"Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again"
(Alter Bridge - Song "Blackbird" - Album "Blackbird" 2007)

August 21st, 2012, 3:12 pm #4

Marc,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday. It makes a real difference to get away from the normal routines.

I haven't heard of the hairspray method before. It sounds promising and I'll give it a try. There are possibilities for using it on aircraft models that might be worth investigating.

Thanks for the information.

Gordon McLaughlin