Trumpeter BIG MRAP kits, good, bad, ugly ?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Trumpeter BIG MRAP kits, good, bad, ugly ?

July 31st, 2017, 1:41 am #1

Gentleman.
With some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, i'm contemplating buying one of the Trumpeter 1/16 scale MRAP kits. There are at least two out there.

Now, i generally stay away from Trumpeter kits, and have my reasons. Just not impressed by the level of details and not happy in the balance of what i get for what i paid.

But, since the MRAP vehicles are modern and getting the right documentation to do them right is rather easy, i'm really thinking about breaking my own rule and getting one.

Now, the real question to those of you who have the kits. How are they ? Good, bad, or just plain ugly ?
Worth the money and trouble ?

Sadly, there is no alternative in this scale. Trumpeter or nothing.

Any opinions will be much appreciated.
Cezar.

July 31st, 2017, 2:10 am #2

it was more toy-like than kit. Take a look at Armorama and Olwarlock (I think), who detailed it pretty well in photos with notes. It is something I'd wanted until I saw one built.

hth,

Kylie

July 31st, 2017, 1:27 pm #3

Gentleman.
With some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, i'm contemplating buying one of the Trumpeter 1/16 scale MRAP kits. There are at least two out there.

Now, i generally stay away from Trumpeter kits, and have my reasons. Just not impressed by the level of details and not happy in the balance of what i get for what i paid.

But, since the MRAP vehicles are modern and getting the right documentation to do them right is rather easy, i'm really thinking about breaking my own rule and getting one.

Now, the real question to those of you who have the kits. How are they ? Good, bad, or just plain ugly ?

Cezar.
I thought it looked okay. It might be a bit sparse but wasn't bad. I look at it about like their 1/16th halftrack. What you get is okay but you can add a lot more in that scale. I guess it depends on how badly you want a 1/16 MRAP or how cheaply you can get the kit. Some 1/16 stowage and accessories would do a lot for it.
DAVID NICKELS

August 2nd, 2017, 1:58 am #4

Gentleman.

Cezar.
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.ph ... =2494&l=en

Big scale...plastic sheets are good to work with here if needed....