Trucks at Dien Bien Phu?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Trucks at Dien Bien Phu?

May 24th, 2012, 2:12 pm #1

Did the French garrison in Dien Bien Phu possessed any trucks to tow their guns? In the movie there were shots of trucks, but how were (if ever) they supplied? I know that M25 tanks were disassembled, but what about other vehicles?
Best regards,
Marko

May 24th, 2012, 3:44 pm #2

M24s and a bulldozer I have seen, but I don't recall seeing pics or shots of trucks at Dien Bien Phu.
As for the guns I supposed they were manhandled into their static positions, where they were put out of action fairly quickly by VM artillery.
Just my 0.2 cents

May 24th, 2012, 6:22 pm #3

Did the French garrison in Dien Bien Phu possessed any trucks to tow their guns? In the movie there were shots of trucks, but how were (if ever) they supplied? I know that M25 tanks were disassembled, but what about other vehicles?
Best regards,
Marko
The M24s at Dien Bien Phu were re-assembled in part with the assistance of at least one GMC truck fitted with an A-frame and no rear body - the photo also shows a standard GMC cargo truck

Source: Vietnam Tracks by Simon Dunstan (Page 28)

Regards,
John

May 24th, 2012, 6:42 pm #4

Best regards,
Marko
From memory i saw a pic in a book of the building of the base and there're a few GMC and i beleive some jeeps and Dodge. Since DBP was an extended base with a few strong places, i thinks these vehicles stayed in place.

May 24th, 2012, 7:18 pm #5

The M24s at Dien Bien Phu were re-assembled in part with the assistance of at least one GMC truck fitted with an A-frame and no rear body - the photo also shows a standard GMC cargo truck

Source: Vietnam Tracks by Simon Dunstan (Page 28)

Regards,
John
From the ECPAD website :

A few Dodge trucks

Chevrolet M6 bomb truck :

HTH

H.P

May 25th, 2012, 8:11 am #6

Best regards,
Marko
Your comments were helpful! Thanks for pictures as well!
Best regards,
Marko