towing vehicles?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

towing vehicles?

December 21st, 2011, 1:41 am #1

Hey Guys,

Whats available to use as a towing vehicle for the 17 and 17/25 pounders that have recently come out, I'm looking at a late war NWE scenario...and even the possibility of a captured vehicle.

Any suggestions???

TIA

P

December 21st, 2011, 1:57 am #2

Nothing new as far as I know. Tamiya and Italeri Ford & Chevy FATs if you can find them, thats about it, and they aren't new. No IHC halftracks either. If you can find a Formations Ram Badger or OP conversion you could use that. Not much else I'm afraid, although that said the FATs really aren't that bad with a little work.

Alex

December 21st, 2011, 6:20 am #3

Hey Guys,

Whats available to use as a towing vehicle for the 17 and 17/25 pounders that have recently come out, I'm looking at a late war NWE scenario...and even the possibility of a captured vehicle.

Any suggestions???

TIA

P
As Alex says not much about at all. But another option for NWE for the 17 pdr is the Crusader Gun Tractor. Fairly easy to scratch the interior. I have drawings if they would help or there is the conversion kit from Accurate Armour.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProd ... product=94

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Kevin
Last edited by kevintucker on December 21st, 2011, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2011, 9:05 am #4

Hey Guys,

Any suggestions???

TIA

P
Thank Alex and Kevin,

At the moment I'm not sure which way I'm going just yet, but I've been looking at ebay and the quad/25 pounder kit of Tamiya's shows a limber as well, would the 17 require a limber with either of these suggestions and if so is it the same as the 25 pounder????

Thanks

P

December 21st, 2011, 10:16 am #5

There are photos of Crusader Gun Tractors with limbers and 17 pdrs and Ram Kangaroos ( another option I forgot about )with limbers. But as yet there is no solid evidence that the limbers were used to carry ammunition but to carry kit only. As it stood the 17 pdr rounds were too long for the trays and would not fit the current setup. Personally I am sure I have seen something somewhere that there was a contract to convert the limbers to carry the 17 pdr rounds in a different arrangement. Unfortunately I cannot find this to confirm. The question has come up several times with no solid evidence either way.

Cheers
Kevin

11a

December 21st, 2011, 6:53 pm #6

Hey Guys,

Any suggestions???

TIA

P
Hi Phil,

The Italeri Crusader is available again at the moment for the AA conversion. This was my recent effort.

AL

[/IMG]

I can point you in the direction of the Italeri Quad if you need one.

Al

December 22nd, 2011, 12:07 am #7

One of my favorites, actually. I wish this was out in plastic too! Just a guess, but ammunition was likely carried in accompanying vehicles - could be trucks, halftracks, carriers, Ram Kangaroos or turretless Stuarts (in Italy at least, not sure about NWE) depending on the unit and what was available of course. Could even have been Sextons with the guns removed or Priest Kangaroos, there are several pictures of this type used as command vehicles or for carrying stores, but I don't know if they were ever used as ammunition carriers. I suspect whatever was available was used when needed.

Alex

December 22nd, 2011, 12:34 am #8

Thank Alex and Kevin,

At the moment I'm not sure which way I'm going just yet, but I've been looking at ebay and the quad/25 pounder kit of Tamiya's shows a limber as well, would the 17 require a limber with either of these suggestions and if so is it the same as the 25 pounder????

Thanks

P
It is overscale and very simplified - if you are going wheeled, go with the Italeri CGT - even though it is old it is basically sound and with a little PE builds into a very nice representation of the actual vehicle. (Besides the CAB 12 Ford represented by the Tamiya kit was long OOP by the time Normandy rolled around - the CAB 13s as depicted by the Italeri Chev kit (and the Ford equivalent) were much more common in NWE). In Jean Bouchery's The Canadian Soldier from D-Day to VE Day on page 136 there is a photo of (what looks like the back of)a CGT with a no 27 limber (same as the 25-lbr) and 17-lbr.

The ORBATs for 1945 show the official towing vehicles for the 17 lbr as the M5/9 Half track in Antitank Regiments attached to Infantry Divisions and turretless RAM tanks along with Crusader Gun Tractors (as already mentioned) in Antitank Regiments attached to Armoured Divisions - no limber (on the orbat) with any of those.

Tom K.
Last edited by Tom Kaszas on December 22nd, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 22nd, 2011, 7:49 am #9

Hey Guys,

Any suggestions???

TIA

P
Thank you all very much,

As I mentioned earlier I don't know which way I'm going at the moment and MAY end up sticking it behind a Cromwell or Sherman I already have in my stash.

Thank again guys

Seasons greetings

P