Took a 6 month break

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Took a 6 month break

alan tong
alan tong

December 9th, 2003, 4:24 am #1

Now I have a few bottles of paint that appear to be sealed shut although I can see the liquid inside is still good. Any tricks to get it opened?

Jaffe_WH_Lam
Jaffe_WH_Lam

December 9th, 2003, 6:55 am #2

You can use a lighter to burn round the lid (so that the paint will melt) and then wrap cloth around the lid to twist it open. Be careful not to burn hand!

Hope this will help.

Cheers,

Jaffe

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

December 9th, 2003, 8:10 am #3

Now I have a few bottles of paint that appear to be sealed shut although I can see the liquid inside is still good. Any tricks to get it opened?
Paint is flammable, right?
I would use hot water to open it.

/Peter

Ron Glass
Ron Glass

December 9th, 2003, 12:30 pm #4

I put my old paint jars upside down and take an eyedropper of solvent & apply that to the jar lid so the solvent can work through the dried paint. Usually only takes a few minutes til I can open them...
Ron

Charles Harrison
Charles Harrison

December 9th, 2003, 2:01 pm #5

I run hot water over the lid with the bottle held sideways, trying not to get water on the glass jar. The idea is for the heat to expand the lid, but not the jar. Then I use those rubber gripping sheets used for opening jars in the kitchen.

Tim Whistler
Tim Whistler

December 9th, 2003, 3:17 pm #6

I put my old paint jars upside down and take an eyedropper of solvent & apply that to the jar lid so the solvent can work through the dried paint. Usually only takes a few minutes til I can open them...
Ron
turn jar upside down and put a little acetone in edge of cap, repeat as acetone evaporates very rapidly, twist top off.
-Tim

alan tong
alan tong

December 10th, 2003, 4:08 pm #7

I ended up turning my bottle upside down and using just a drop of paint thinner. Worked like a charm after about 10 minutes.

Lee Dobson
Lee Dobson

December 10th, 2003, 10:42 pm #8

Stand on the jar, then twist, it should come off

Chris Benson
Chris Benson

December 13th, 2003, 4:41 pm #9

Forget where I saw this, years ago.The jaw type nut crackers are perfect for opening small bottles.The newer curved jaws are best.I've never had a bottle,oil based or acrylic that could withstand it.

December 20th, 2003, 7:10 pm #10

Turn the jar upside down, spray a little WD-40 , or similar, to the jar lid, wait a few minutes and then twist it open.
HIH