Toldi turret hatch

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Toldi turret hatch

June 19th, 2012, 7:31 pm #1

Thomas,
I've looked through a few hundred photos on my PC and only found three which show the inside of the hatch ( I have not looked in the books as yet), this image is the clearest I have.
Unfortunately I can't post the full image.

I can tell you it is a 38M Toldi II (B20), the unit is unknown at present.

There is another photo that clearly shows the three tone camouflage scheme was also applied to the interior surface of the hatch.

The hatch has what appears to be a slide/stay mechanism on either side, I suspect the locking handle was on the inside of the turret and 'locked' into the slide when the hatch was closed. I have seen these 'stays' disconected and the hatch almost lying flat on the turret roof.

Regards
Andrew T

[/IMG]

June 20th, 2012, 7:13 am #2

Very nice B20.

I've found these two pictures, maybe of some help.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Ps I don't know the exact locations of the Nimrod, but I think it's not open to the public right now.

yours

Adam

June 20th, 2012, 9:30 am #3

Thank you both.

That are the photos I need! Now I need to see how to reproduce that sliding thing in 1/35.
But as I need to wait for a matching hungarian figure and the Friulmodel tracks, I have some time to think about that.

Best regards

Thomas Hartwig
Panzer-Modell.de

June 20th, 2012, 10:25 am #4

Sorry for my ignorance, but when did Friul produce Toldi/Nimrod tracks in 1/35 scale?
I'm only aware of their 1/16 offering.

If you are not already decided on a specific product than I would recommend you figures from the Bodi range.

http://www.thebodi.hu/models/3/the-bodi ... s/135-size

Yours

Adam

June 20th, 2012, 12:52 pm #5

Sorry not to have mentioned it, but Friul is actually working on a set for the Toldi in 1/35. Said to be available in 1-2 months.

Nice Figures from "The bodi" but I wonder which would have the correct uniform for a commander of a Toldi in the time area 1942 and before. Any idea?

Best regards

Thomas Hartwig
Panzer-Modell.de

June 20th, 2012, 2:24 pm #6

This is very good, as I hate plastic indy tracks.

I'd recommend following sets:

Hungarian motorized artillery officer (35053), but with a headswap, as the visor cap was introduced later.
or
Hungarian Panzer crew 2# (35050)
or
Hungarian Panzer crew 1# (35049)

Yours

Adam

June 20th, 2012, 3:31 pm #7

Thomas -

I`ve seen photos of Toldi crews dating from 1942 and they appear to wear a mix of Italian and Hungarian tank helmets - with the Hungarian M-41 usually being worn by commanders and drivers ( these helmets had integral headphones ) the older Italian helmets seems to have been used by some crew members well into 1943 - see photo below and note late style cross on the Toldi.

[/IMG]

June 20th, 2012, 3:57 pm #8

Thank you both for the crew recommendations ... I will try to have a look.

best regards

Thomas Hartwig
Panzer-Modell.de

June 21st, 2012, 9:42 am #9

Thomas,
I've looked through a few hundred photos on my PC and only found three which show the inside of the hatch ( I have not looked in the books as yet), this image is the clearest I have.
Unfortunately I can't post the full image.

I can tell you it is a 38M Toldi II (B20), the unit is unknown at present.

There is another photo that clearly shows the three tone camouflage scheme was also applied to the interior surface of the hatch.

The hatch has what appears to be a slide/stay mechanism on either side, I suspect the locking handle was on the inside of the turret and 'locked' into the slide when the hatch was closed. I have seen these 'stays' disconected and the hatch almost lying flat on the turret roof.

Regards
Andrew T

[/IMG]
in don´t find the link now but it was of ML somewhere

http://www.miniart-models.com/

change to preview you find the Hungarian Tank crew

greetings Detlev

http://panzer-modell.de.tl/

June 21st, 2012, 1:46 pm #10

Gents,
I found this further image in the Pro Modell Archív magazine, it does not have a volume number however it's ISBN is 1419-9017 if anyone is looking to source a copy.
The image is captioned as being live firing at the Domoszló ranges and the vehicle is from the Armoured unit at Jaszberény in 1942.

The appears to be an inverted 'L' shaped bracket on the right side of the hatch forward of the hatch stay; which I suspect a locking lever mounted inside the turret engaged when locking the hatch.

[/IMG]

Next image is a further alternative camouflage scheme which I have only seen on this 38M Toldi A20, it appears to have thin ?black lines separating the colours. There are no markings evident on this vehicle; I suspect its dated pre 1940.

[/IMG]

Regards
Andrew