Tired of seeing combat dioramas

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Tired of seeing combat dioramas

Chris McCann
Chris McCann

May 7th, 2003, 3:34 am #1

I am sure I will receive numerous replies to this effect: "guess what, people shoot in wars" or "wars are about fighting" etc. But I am tired of seeing almost every diorama at contests, in magazines, or in my local hobby shop display case falling into one of two categories:
1. Soldiers (usually German) in a desperate "shoot em' up" struggle running hither and yon slugging it out.
2. Soldiers (of any nationality) sneaknig around and preparing to ambush or taking cover from enemy fire.

Let's show some imagination people!!!! Yes, wars are about shooting, but just because tanks and soldiers can fight doesn't mean they always have to. I find some of the most interesting dioramas I have seen are those of vehicles being extracted from muddy ditches, soldiers interacting with civilians or other non fighting scenes. And while I am on my soapbox, I think we have all seen enough German tanks whose weight has caused them to break through a flimsy wooden bridge. Just my 2P

David Bourland
David Bourland

May 7th, 2003, 7:14 am #2

Good points.

In general I think most modelers would rather focus on details and accuracy, setting and presentation become a neglected afterthought.

I have a lot of creative ideas but don't take them to shows because the rest of my game is not up to par with the detail guys. Even I hope to round out my skills enough to want to show my work.

I think a lot more people will appreciate a creative setting than a rare and accurate scratch built detail.

On the other hand it is our hobby and we each get to decide how we want to do it.

Thanks,
David

Ebbe Bergman
Ebbe Bergman

May 7th, 2003, 10:31 am #3

I am sure I will receive numerous replies to this effect: "guess what, people shoot in wars" or "wars are about fighting" etc. But I am tired of seeing almost every diorama at contests, in magazines, or in my local hobby shop display case falling into one of two categories:
1. Soldiers (usually German) in a desperate "shoot em' up" struggle running hither and yon slugging it out.
2. Soldiers (of any nationality) sneaknig around and preparing to ambush or taking cover from enemy fire.

Let's show some imagination people!!!! Yes, wars are about shooting, but just because tanks and soldiers can fight doesn't mean they always have to. I find some of the most interesting dioramas I have seen are those of vehicles being extracted from muddy ditches, soldiers interacting with civilians or other non fighting scenes. And while I am on my soapbox, I think we have all seen enough German tanks whose weight has caused them to break through a flimsy wooden bridge. Just my 2P
well sometimes ya. But...its always up to the builder and what he likes. "There is always someone that complains if the hangingroop is to long allso". But I think some dioramas are very nice to watch where they depicts a relaxing seroundning. But the hight action dios are quite fun allso. All depends on what the diorama looks like overall. Well...Im about my self to do a diorama and Im at the crossroad. Am I doing a action diorama or a relaxed?!
Cheers!
Ebbe

Niels Henkemans
Niels Henkemans

May 7th, 2003, 12:08 pm #4

You do have a point, but I think a lot of dio's are not about fighting. If you look in the ML dio gallery about 50% don't show actual fighting "not fighting". Then again the other 50 percent does fit in your 2 categories. I myself don't really make a difference between them and my idea's depend mainly on the figures I can get without paying too much for them. My latest (and first) dio is a non fighting dio BTW. Based on several dragon figures. At this moment I'm planning two more dio's. One showing the destruction in the falaise gap (destroyed vehicles everywere), but not actual fighting. The other one I'm thinking of is a 'fighting'dio. It shows german grenadiers in full attack after the climbed out of their halftrack. I do think a lot of dio's do suffer from a lack of imagination, and that's too bad because they're often very nice already.
BTW here are somme pictures of the dio I'm working on at this moment. Hope you like them

Mike R.
Mike R.

May 7th, 2003, 6:27 pm #5

dio's with German's sitting around eating lunch/diner that have won awards (not bragging) at model contest's. To me the "down" time in war is just as interesting in dio form as any combat. One thing about "combat" dio's they do represent that action thing real well. Mike.

David Williamson
David Williamson

May 7th, 2003, 10:37 pm #6

I like to do non-combat dios myself, but a big problem is lack of availible material. Why can't the the manufacturers give us more and better civilian figures? Yes, there have been a few resin 1's and 2/s in recent years, but why not a 4 figure injection set like DML or ICM does? (and while I'm on that soapbox, what about some female modern US soldiers?) On the Think Tank section of ML, there's a pic from Chechnya of a women pushing a baby carriage in front of a T-80. I'd love to recreate that scene--if a had a womean and a baby carriage.

Then there's civilian cars is in 1/35, both 1930's--for WWI--and modern.

And of course non-bombed out buildings. Why is every building from Verlinden or Custon Dio have destroyed? I'd like to do a scene from KFOR--A Leo II rolling down a city street--or a NATO manuevers scene with an M60 in a German town, but I don't have availible to me civilians in 1970-90's clothes, 1970-90's cars and modern buildings. I have begun building some small non bombed house/taverns/shops etc, but boy, would I love a section of Apartment flats.

Well, enough rant for now.

May 8th, 2003, 12:09 am #7

Gday,

I've been thinking about this for a while. When you read accounts by veterans a comon theme is long hours of boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror. Building a diorama you are going to be depicting one of these poles or the transision between them. Most books focus naturally on the moments of sheer terror at one scale or another, Photographs however are either staged or taken in the hours of boredom ( I realise there is some truly remarkable photo's and film of the height of action but its rarer than photo's of the aftermath ).
Imagine a book that went into "unit action report" details about the hours of boredom. No one would be able to finish reading it.
16:00 Jones is combing his hair, Jenkins Farted
16:01 Jones still combing Hair, Jenkins farted again
etc. Added to this apart from in the diorama's title we are restricted to visual only cues as to what the story is.
As an alternative I've been looking at dioramas that represent a slice of routine. This is however even harder to find real references about. Where can you find descriptions of the roles of the 7 crew of an artillery piece and what there daily life entails.

Tony

Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown

May 8th, 2003, 6:28 am #8

I have been in several contests since getting back into modelling in the last two years, and I have won first place with three out of the five dioramas I have entered. All of my winners were "battle" dioramas. My best Diorama by far does not involve a battle at all, it involves a Panther tank crew in Hungary trying to get the stove started for dinner, called "Hungry in Hungary". It is my cleanest build, best weathered, and contains the best figures I have ever finished, and it didn't even get a second look at the last contest I entered. I overheard the judges say "Where's the story?", and this is more of a humor vignette than a diorama. Taking this to heart, but realizing that there is more to war than death, I intend to enter it this July at the IPMS/USA show in Oklahoma City and hope for the best against a bunch of "battle" hardened veterans. Wish this rookie luck, and remember "an army marches on its stomach."

Dan Capuano
Dan Capuano

May 8th, 2003, 9:59 pm #9

I respect you're opinion but I feel the opposite way that you do. I'm tired of seeing so many relaxed type dio's. Soldiers at rest, soldiers at lunch, soldiers reading mail, soldiers with hookers, soldiers inspecting knocked out vehicles etc. I think nothing is more dramatic than an action (combat) dio. But again that's just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown

May 9th, 2003, 3:27 am #10

Most of the dioramas I do are combat dios, and I have noticed that at contests and when a new guest stops by the house, the first thing people look at are the combat and fighting dioramas. But in all fairness to Chris, I have seen, and been on the judging end of contests where the soft (or non-combat) dios get worked over for the action of the combat dios.