Tiran 5 Browning M2 firing mechanism

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Tiran 5 Browning M2 firing mechanism

June 28th, 2015, 10:02 pm #1

Hi Folks

I'm working on the Tamiya Tiran 5, one of the features of which is the Browning 50 cal mounted above the 105mm main gun.

I'm having some difficulty finding any information on the firing mechanism for this weapon.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Simon Hammerton

June 28th, 2015, 10:23 pm #2

Early versions of this consisted of a rod welded across the top of the spade grip. The rod went through two boomerang shaped pieces of 1/4 plate. Pull wires were attached to the tops of the boomerang pieces - when pulled, they would make the lower half of the boomerang engage the trigger(s). There were spacers on the welded rod to keep the boomerang pieces in the correct orientation between the grips.

June 29th, 2015, 1:24 am #3

Hi Robert

Thanks for that, very useful. I'm still trying to find some images of a complete assembly, all the images so far only show some of the mounting hardware without the M2 fitted.

But this helps me a great deal.

Simon

June 29th, 2015, 1:54 pm #4

Hi Folks

I'm working on the Tamiya Tiran 5, one of the features of which is the Browning 50 cal mounted above the 105mm main gun.

I'm having some difficulty finding any information on the firing mechanism for this weapon.

Simon Hammerton
You might get some ideas if you go to Legends website. They aren't actually photos but they show the parts they use.

June 29th, 2015, 5:18 pm #5

Represents a later solenoid style mechanism, not the older lever action type, although it may work for what you want.

June 29th, 2015, 11:10 pm #6

Hi Folks

Simon Hammerton
Simon- You need to use the manual style with the wire cables that were pulled to activate the firing mechanism and the charging lever. The solenoid version was used on much later Magachs and Merkava's. Legends does offer the maual version with a M2 .50 cal MG.
Good luck
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West Region
AMPS So Cal

June 30th, 2015, 8:16 am #7

Represents a later solenoid style mechanism, not the older lever action type, although it may work for what you want.
Thank you all for the information, I'm going to check the Legends site and consider my options.

Simon

June 30th, 2015, 9:13 pm #8

Simon- You need to use the manual style with the wire cables that were pulled to activate the firing mechanism and the charging lever. The solenoid version was used on much later Magachs and Merkava's. Legends does offer the maual version with a M2 .50 cal MG.
Good luck
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West Region
AMPS So Cal
So I have had a look at the various detail sets, but none appear to have the actual firing linkages.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I know that images of the area in question are hard to find because the M2 is missing from many museum examples.

This is getting frustrating.

Simon

July 1st, 2015, 3:57 am #9

E mail me at joseph_bevans@yahoo.com
I will dig up a coup;e pictures for you.
Thanks
Joe Bevans

July 1st, 2015, 3:20 pm #10

Thanks Joe.

Email sent

Simon