Tiger one question

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tiger one question

July 11th, 2012, 9:33 am #1

Hi guys just curious and wonder if you can help me. I am currently looking at doing the tiger Fgst.Nr.V1 from the Dragon kit 6600. I have managed to track down the Vorpanzer front plate so no dramas there however, it could be my eyes playing tricks on me in regards to the front drive sprocket. The hub face looks flat to me not the usual domed face seen on the early tigers am i correct or not. Models i have seen portray the domed surface but i have read some where (cant for the life of me remember where) that it was a reverse dimpled surface.... not sure what that means. Lastly what fruil tracks would be good to go with this kit, am i looking at the mirrored tracks or just the normal tracks for this first version. Thanks in advance

July 11th, 2012, 5:14 pm #2

It could be our eyes playing tricks, but the shape of the hub in the first photo does look odd, but i think it's just a trick of the light. Look at the hub on the proto type VK 36.01 (second photo) and the following hubs, there all the same.
The one thing about the hubs on the first few Tigers was that the bolts lined up with the wheel spokes. Later ones had the spokes and bolts offset.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

July 11th, 2012, 6:54 pm #3

The hub on the Tiger from APC museum looks the same as that on V1. I really ought to figure out how long this type was used.

David

July 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm #4

Hi guys just curious and wonder if you can help me. I am currently looking at doing the tiger Fgst.Nr.V1 from the Dragon kit 6600. I have managed to track down the Vorpanzer front plate so no dramas there however, it could be my eyes playing tricks on me in regards to the front drive sprocket. The hub face looks flat to me not the usual domed face seen on the early tigers am i correct or not. Models i have seen portray the domed surface but i have read some where (cant for the life of me remember where) that it was a reverse dimpled surface.... not sure what that means. Lastly what fruil tracks would be good to go with this kit, am i looking at the mirrored tracks or just the normal tracks for this first version. Thanks in advance
Thank you gentleman for the replies. I will just use the standard hub that has come with the kit. It also appears that the bolt holes don't line up with the sprockets and the same goes for V2, from the pictures i have seen in Waldemar Trojca book on the early tiger one does this sound right. Lastly i am going with fruil tiger tracks atl-25 does that sound about right?

July 11th, 2012, 11:03 pm #5

This tank had no periscopes in the hull hatches, no latches on the engine deck hatches, a horn on the front hull roof, and an unusual sprocket; the 10 "arms" of the sprocket coincided with the bolts on the outer ring, whereas in most Tigers they fall between the bolts.

There is a photo showing the vehicle with normal early tracks (Fruil ATL-25) but presumably it was built with the mirrored tracks in the first place (Fruil ATL-116).

David

July 11th, 2012, 11:29 pm #6

David thank you for the reply..... i was aware of the detail but forgot about the unusual sprocket that had the 10 "arms" of the sprocket coinciding with the bolts on the outer ring. This then leads me to ask does any one make this sprocket? as i dont think it can be done with the dragon tiger kit sprockets. Thank you for the clarification on the tracks, is the photo your talking of, where it shows the mirrored tracks the one with the snorkel fitted to the rear deck as the photo i have of this tiger appears to have mirrored tracks your thoughts

July 12th, 2012, 12:26 am #7

David whilst looking at the drive sprockets I think there are three types of early Drive sprocket and I am happy to be corretcted. There is the initial type seen on V1 that has the 10 "arms" of the sprocket coinciding with the bolts on the outer ring and the centre hub similar to the pictures in your post. Then there is the drive sprocket that are the ones you have pictured in your post together that are as you say similar to the v1 prototype with out the bolt holes lining up with the arms. These are seen on on the tigers that belonged to 502 and some on 501? Then it appears from some pictures of tigers in africa they show the hub pictured in Daves first post above and the bolts not lining up with the arms.

Now looking at the drive sprokets in the model kits, The first one mentioned will need to be made. The dragon kit has the hub face you posted with the bolts not lining up with the drive sproket and lastly the tamiya afrika version kit has the one drive sprocket Dave postedin picture two of his post.....Does this make sense or am i looking to far into it. It also shows an interesting time line. I would love to hear your thoughts and love to see what you turn up about this