Tiger II in colour

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tiger II in colour

June 9th, 2017, 11:14 pm #1

If this is colourized then it is a superb piece of work. I have never seen a B/W image of this photo has anyone else?
I think i found it on Tiger Tracks on Facebook awhile back. kind of forgot about it till now.

June 10th, 2017, 6:49 am #2

Looks real to me but I'm not certain, If fake, someone has observed very carefully and taken a huge amount of time to put this together so well. Leaning towards real.
Manus

June 10th, 2017, 9:57 am #3

color. Probably photoshopped but very well done.
J

June 10th, 2017, 11:26 am #4

Many photos and movies that we have seen in B&W were originally shot in color. Many books didn't have the budget to print color photos, so they were copied in B&W. A lot of movie footage in WW2 was in color, but early TV - like "Victory at Sea" - was B&W, so the films were shown in B&W, and we assumed that's what they were. A good example is the explosion of the forward magazines on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor, shot in color by a Navy officer, but often seen in B&W. If this Tiger II is colorized, the guy is Michaelangelo..... One thing I find very interesting is that the RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb looks like the "ausgabe 1944" variant, which would be correct as one of the choices available at the factory, depending on supplies.
Last edited by Bruce Culver on June 10th, 2017, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2017, 11:41 am #5

if this was colorized, it had to be a pixel-by-pixel job. It must have taken him weeks to do it. I still lean toward real, largely for the difficulty of including all the defects in the paint and the incredible attention to minor color variations in all the details, on the tank, the ground, and the buildings behind. Real, or Michaelangelo. And, if it's that good, does it have value as a reference, even if it is colored?

June 10th, 2017, 12:51 pm #6

If this is colourized then it is a superb piece of work. I have never seen a B/W image of this photo has anyone else?
I think i found it on Tiger Tracks on Facebook awhile back. kind of forgot about it till now.

I too think it has the look and feel of authenticity to it. Thanks for posting - I have added it to my collection of reference photos!

June 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm #7

Of note, are the now rusted steel wheel edges, the rusty colour of the spare track on the ground, broken sprocket,

Cheers
Andrew

June 10th, 2017, 1:31 pm #8

I too think it has the look and feel of authenticity to it. Thanks for posting - I have added it to my collection of reference photos!
Here are two observation that to me indicate it may be colonized.

The camouflage colours extend below the welds that fastened the front fender hinges.

I would think that there would have been damage to the paint caused by the spare track links hanging on the side of the turret.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

June 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm #9

I was trying track down period photos of this wreck, and the numbers are faint, but...?
Anyway you can see the outline of the first "2" in the photo.

June 10th, 2017, 3:30 pm #10

Here are two observation that to me indicate it may be colonized.

The camouflage colours extend below the welds that fastened the front fender hinges.

I would think that there would have been damage to the paint caused by the spare track links hanging on the side of the turret.

Regards,

Tom
Tom,
You make some good points. It's very hard to explain the oversprayed green and brown paint where the fender hinges would have been. These spots should appear as a primer color, or at least differ from the sprayed blotches around them. If the paint was applied after the fender and hinges were missing, we wouldn't see the hard demarcation where the fender was. This is very curious, might be the most sophisticated colorizing I've seen.
Manus