Tiger I steelwheel prototype combat use?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tiger I steelwheel prototype combat use?

December 4th, 2012, 5:05 pm #1

Hi guys

I wonder does anyone know what happened to the Early-Late Hybrid model Tiger I that was used to mount the test steelwheel supension? I refer to the one on pages 55 and 100 of Spielbergers 'Tiger and King Tiger Tank and Their Variants' and has the Glysantin-type cicle with numbers '131' on the lower front plate.

It has a unique array of features - binocular driver's sight, smoke dischargers, kinked sideskirts, scalloped late model hull front horns, twin headlamps, first pattern track cable stowage and the steel wheels.

So I wondered if it (presumably it was an it and there weren't more of the same) actually saw action.

Ron

December 4th, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

in the various end-of-war ad-hoc combat groups.

It was chassis 250053, built in December 1942.

David

December 4th, 2012, 8:55 pm #3

David, I just obtained a copy of Ron Klages's monograph of the Tiger "Trail of the Tigers" and according to the listing in that Chassis NUmber 250053 was issued to 4.SSPR 1 on 25th December 1942. Are you saying that new information means that this is incorrect ? Alan

December 4th, 2012, 10:07 pm #4

but it's not new information, it was published in "Germany's Tiger Tanks : D.W. to Tiger I" twelve years ago.
We have newsreel of the tank driving around the test range, its chassis number visible.

David

December 4th, 2012, 11:10 pm #5

Hi guys

Thanks for the immediate comeback. It all comes down to the date I expect, the date on which the tank actually was sent into combat if at all. If it was based at presumably Sennelager (so nearby Paderborn?) at least at some time for the film to be taken it would seem to indicate that two units would be favourite here, Gruppe Paderborn and Kompanie Hummel springing to mind. Both were in action in the vicinity of Paderborn in April 45 according to Ron Klages and both fielded a variety of ex-training oddity Tiger Is. However, without a photo or other paperwork we'll probably not get further clarification.

Ron
Last edited by ronrunningman on December 4th, 2012, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 5th, 2012, 12:04 am #6

Hi guys

I wonder does anyone know what happened to the Early-Late Hybrid model Tiger I that was used to mount the test steelwheel supension? I refer to the one on pages 55 and 100 of Spielbergers 'Tiger and King Tiger Tank and Their Variants' and has the Glysantin-type cicle with numbers '131' on the lower front plate.

It has a unique array of features - binocular driver's sight, smoke dischargers, kinked sideskirts, scalloped late model hull front horns, twin headlamps, first pattern track cable stowage and the steel wheels.

So I wondered if it (presumably it was an it and there weren't more of the same) actually saw action.

Ron
I assume this Tiger had the earliest style of turret with the pistol ports on both sides and not an escape hatch on the right side. Are there any known photographs of this Tiger that would give an answer? If not, any speculation would be interesting.

Thanks to any and all,
Chaz

December 5th, 2012, 1:11 am #7

I can see that it has the extended hull front and the rear toolbox frame, which usually but not always came after the escape hatch.

David

December 5th, 2012, 4:21 am #8

I'm glad to hear that it is a very good possibility. I don't know why, but I somehow want it to be so. That would be an interesting build. I would have to assume that it is probably gray also.

Chaz

December 5th, 2012, 7:33 am #9

Chaz

I agree, that would be even more interesting if 2 x MP-Klappen. If you haven't seen the Spielberger photo it doesn't look grey or even braun though, but overall very pale like dunkelgelb. Though if it saw actual use it could be anything, as Hummel and Fehrmann for inst had a wide palette of camo colours from 3-colour (including the wheels) to oversprayed 'dark' (rotbraun? olivgrun?).

Ron

December 5th, 2012, 9:38 am #10

The film of it driving around, shows it in a very subtle camouflage. I've enhanced this frame to show it (ignore the shadow of the gun);

So I would bet on a tropical scheme.

David