Tiger I diorama renderings....

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Tiger I diorama renderings....

Rick Hahn
Rick Hahn

June 19th, 2003, 10:27 am #1

Yes...it is a computer rendering, but not a really neat one . This is my idea for a dio, the story behind it is that the Tiger, somewhere in Russia 1944, broke through the bridge and the ice and sank into the water, well at least a bit. It has just been abandoned, so only a light covering of snow will be over it. Tell me what you think, and if you have ideas to make it more pleasing to look at, please say so!

Yes, I do know that the wheels stick through the wood in some places but I was too lazy to adjust the suspension to fit the terrain...I am going to do so in the final dio!

Rick

P.S: the pics were made with Blender (http://www.blender3d.org), a really powerful and easy to use 3d modelling program.

Peter E.N.
Peter E.N.

June 19th, 2003, 8:26 pm #2

How about having the bridge a bit higher? I think that would be cool. Maybe you could have the abandoning crew on the diorama too? Wading in the water or something.

/Peter

Rick Hahn
Rick Hahn

June 20th, 2003, 5:22 am #3

I like the idea of having the bridge higher up, I might just do that. About the crew wading, I think I won't do that since it's a: kinda hard to wade through ice , b: I'm not a good figure modeller and c: I want the scene to look very desolate and lonely, so no figures for me

Rick

Francesco Chiementin
Francesco Chiementin

June 20th, 2003, 1:22 pm #4

HellO!

I like the idea very much, but sicnerly I doubt a Tiger would be driven on a wooden bridge (if that's made of wood) they were created just for lighter vehicles, even tanks but surely not Tigers or Panthers... I've seen photos with Pzner III/IV/38t on wooden bridges but noone with Tigers on them.

Please, clear my mind if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Francesco

SS_Dani.Gibert
SS_Dani.Gibert

June 25th, 2003, 8:51 am #5

wooden bridges, on the whole, wasn't made for heavy tanks as a Tiger, but some bridges, for example the bridge for a train were able to suport this weights, and it would be a great idea that this bridge was like ones (excuse me for my poor English, hehe).

Jon Niktitas
Jon Niktitas

June 28th, 2003, 11:40 am #6

HellO!

I like the idea very much, but sicnerly I doubt a Tiger would be driven on a wooden bridge (if that's made of wood) they were created just for lighter vehicles, even tanks but surely not Tigers or Panthers... I've seen photos with Pzner III/IV/38t on wooden bridges but noone with Tigers on them.

Please, clear my mind if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Francesco
Good because I was looking through one of Shep Paines how to build dioramas or military vehicle modelling ( Iforget which one) But he did a dio similiar to you but with a Panther tank and it was straight up. He said he got it from a pic and supposedly they got it out. But theres no reason to say that a tiger would not cross a wooden bridge. They maybe advancing quickly enough to have to use the bridge. They may be retreating. who knows. Jon

Francesco Chiementin
Francesco Chiementin

June 30th, 2003, 4:55 pm #7

Hello,

if I'd be a Tiger driver or commander I would never drive my tank on a so weak bridge, even retreating or advancing... I'd rather order to face the enemy and defend the position... driving my tank on that bridge would be a suicide and this would cause an abandon of the tank... surely. I could do this because I want to do such a thing: abandon the tank in a position from which it would never be saved... even from the enemy.

Anyway, there are so many possibilities (Tiger driver completely drunk ), so that any work or decision would be right in any case.

Best regards all,
Francesco

Peter E.N
Peter E.N

July 6th, 2003, 6:12 pm #8

Yes...it is a computer rendering, but not a really neat one . This is my idea for a dio, the story behind it is that the Tiger, somewhere in Russia 1944, broke through the bridge and the ice and sank into the water, well at least a bit. It has just been abandoned, so only a light covering of snow will be over it. Tell me what you think, and if you have ideas to make it more pleasing to look at, please say so!

Yes, I do know that the wheels stick through the wood in some places but I was too lazy to adjust the suspension to fit the terrain...I am going to do so in the final dio!

Rick

P.S: the pics were made with Blender (http://www.blender3d.org), a really powerful and easy to use 3d modelling program.
Wading through ice would be pretty hard... doh
About the Tiger-Bridge thing, I don´t see a problem with it. Maybe the Tiger was fleeing from the battlefield because it ran out of ammo or something? If you were chased by a tank when you´re out of ammo you probably would do some "panic" things... Maybe you´d even try wading trough the ice???

/Peter

Joe Fischer
Joe Fischer

July 13th, 2003, 12:38 am #9

Rick

My only comment other than it's a great photogenic idea is that maybe you could slightly adjust the idea to incorporate a "weakened" masonry bridge. Possible collapse of weakened structure under the heavy weight of the tiger. Maybe the bridge was partially collapsed and the driver attempted to narrowly skirt the damaged area...unsuccessfully!
Maybe even incorporate the driver looking quite disgusted and wet from atop the turret. ??? Sort of the look a cat has that slipped into a full bathtub.
Anyway...good luck and go for it!