Tiger GB WIP 1 Tiger II Unidentified Unit Ostfront

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tiger GB WIP 1 Tiger II Unidentified Unit Ostfront

August 15th, 2010, 4:58 am #1

Finally, after a lot of moaning, I have finished the zimmerit on my Tiger II. I am about 70% happy with the result, and now that I have "done" zimmerit once I reckon my second attempt will be a lot better.

The model will represent a very tired Tiger on the Ostfront in an overall whitewashed finish, similar to how the Tiger II in Panzerwrecks 7 on page 65 might have looked before being abandoned by its crew.

I am hoping that my progress will come along a little now that I have finished the zimmerit.

Cheers

Stuart

August 15th, 2010, 1:04 pm #2

Looks great so far!

- John

August 15th, 2010, 10:20 pm #3

Finally, after a lot of moaning, I have finished the zimmerit on my Tiger II. I am about 70% happy with the result, and now that I have "done" zimmerit once I reckon my second attempt will be a lot better.

The model will represent a very tired Tiger on the Ostfront in an overall whitewashed finish, similar to how the Tiger II in Panzerwrecks 7 on page 65 might have looked before being abandoned by its crew.

I am hoping that my progress will come along a little now that I have finished the zimmerit.

Cheers

Stuart

August 16th, 2010, 10:06 am #4

Looks great so far!

- John
Thanks John. n/t

August 16th, 2010, 10:12 am #5

Greg,

I used Green Stuff from Gale Force Games (because it is easy for me to source) although I found it to be a bit reluctant to stick to the model. I might try Miliput next time. I applied the putty and textured it as described by Alex Clark in his Osprey book on modeling the Panzer IV in 1/72 scale. I'll post some pics of the tool in my next WIP post. I did some additional texturing with a jewelers screwdriver. It took me some time to get the application of putty thin enough, and the early surfaces I worked on are a bit thick and uneven.

Cheers

Stu
Last edited by StuartLawrie on August 16th, 2010, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2010, 12:26 am #6

I use Gunze Sangyo Mr. Surfacer, and Tamiya's zimmerit tools it is easy to apply that way... another easy way for me is Cavalier zimmerit, but that gets expensive.

August 17th, 2010, 8:10 am #7

Jeff,

How do you go for working time with Mr Surfacer? My experience is that it kicks off pretty quickly.

Cheers

Stuart

August 17th, 2010, 8:54 am #8

Cheers

Stuart

... really a brave modeller ... excellent!

August 17th, 2010, 11:15 am #9

Cheers

Stuart

G'day Stewart.
your Zimmerit job looks great, I just love these big cats.
I will have to get a wriggle on and do some more work on
my Porsche Tiger, the G.B. deadline is looming.
Again, well done my friend, I look forward to seeing your
project in some camo.
Regards.
Alan.

August 17th, 2010, 2:32 pm #10

Cheers

Stuart

I admire you for the work you are doing, great work with that zimmerit. Keep posting please.

Congrats.