Tiger 1 Ice-cleats

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tiger 1 Ice-cleats

May 15th, 2012, 5:50 pm #1

My friend Jean-Charles send me some pictures and drawings of Ice-cleats for use on a new webpage:

http://www.panzerbasics.com/index_files ... cleats.htm

Strangely, there is very few info available on these and the few surviving samples I saw are found in France. The East would have been far more likely for such finds.

Enjoy,

Rob

May 16th, 2012, 6:21 pm #2

Those ice-cleats are quite rare !
Are there pics of them in action ?

Cheers
Eric

May 16th, 2012, 8:50 pm #3

Hi Eric,

Pictures in action are rare, but here is one (Source TIK1):

You might like to know that the publication of the ice-cleat pictures started as a direct result of your great convoy light post!

Cheers,

Rob

May 17th, 2012, 10:37 pm #4

Here's another example.
A Jan'43 issue Totenkopf Tiger photo'd with the cleats still fitted in May/June'43:
[/IMG]

Grant.

May 18th, 2012, 7:57 am #5

Hi Eric,

You might like to know that the publication of the ice-cleat pictures started as a direct result of your great convoy light post!

Cheers,

Rob

and Thanks !

In fact, I now realize that those ice-cleats were intended for the early tracks with no chevron on them.
This is a good reason to explain rarity. There was a pair of them in Ciney in October 2011 ( seller from PL ). I didn't know what it was, until Jevgenijss told me but he has bought them !!! So if you know how many parts this Tiger hunter has got, you can imagine how rare it is !

Cheers
Eric

May 18th, 2012, 7:28 pm #6

The pictures on my site clearly demonstrates that these grousers could also be fitted on late style tracks.
I found one picture of a Tiger on late tracks having the grouser hanging on the side of the tank.
It is however very difficult to spot the grousers on wartime pictures.
When looking at the wear of late style tracks, the chevrons at the inside seem to have gone very fast. The Vimoutiers Tiger is a nice example of that.
So, I think they were still used on late style tracks.

Rob

May 19th, 2012, 12:49 am #7

Hi Eric,

Cheers,

Rob

It didn't take long to find evidence. According to "Tigers in Combat, Vol. 2", the 8/SS-Panzerregiment 2 had "traction problems due to extreme smoothness" as they secured the Charkow railway station on 1 February 1943. Ice cleats ("stollen") were sent to the unit on 8 February and when fitted to the Tigers on 11 February, they "significantly improved the mobility of the tanks" (my translation).

The cleats are difficult to see in photos, but here's "821" with its cleats on (plus a cardboard Mickey Mouse). The cleats are applied only one to every second track link, alternating inner with outer positions.

It's also clear that "Tiki" was carrying ice cleats during its much-publicised ceremony.

David
Last edited by DavidByrden on May 19th, 2012, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.