Thoughts on figure subjects

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Thoughts on figure subjects

October 13th, 2010, 7:45 pm #1

OK, before you all start accusing me of beating a dead horse, I'll just direct you to compare the reactions to two new figure annoncements made recently on this board, the first one by Mantis Miniatures:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47212/th ... tures+news

And the second by Alpine Miniatures:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47212/th ... -+Oct+2010

Notice that while both figure sets are quite comparable in terms of quality (both look outstanding), the Mantis announcement, featuring German subjects, did not trigger any response, while the Alpine one, which features Allied subjects, got a few reactions.

Now my comment is in no way meant as criticism of either of the sculptors' work, but more about the choice of subjects. Could it be that the market is now close to being saturated with figures depicting German tank commanders and field officers/NCO's in just about every possible variation of standard and non-standard uniform just standing around looking or pointing at something?

Maybe it's just me, but, quality notwithstanding, every time someone announces a new set of German figures, the first thought that crosses my mind is "Big Yawn".

OK, let the tomatoes fly now...

For what it's worth,

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

October 14th, 2010, 3:53 pm #2

In some language, "German Sells" sounds exactly like a rotten tomato hitting you!

you know, you hit a nerve with me, and I went into a long rant about the difference in this hobby between a person who was not born to a WW2 vet and who thinks about the war from an abstract perspective that is detached, and a person like me who grew up in a home that was totally affected by WW2, a fact that I was always reminded of when I looked at my Dad's right arm up until Christmas night, 2004.

But I erased it. Its hard to keep in mind that for probably most of the folks here, this is probably just a hobby about something that may have happened to their grandparents, maybe, and thus is just a kind of fantasy thing. Have you noticed, like I have, that fewer and fewer posts appear about actual WW2 history and at the same time more and more SiFi model images have appeared?

Thus, maybe the question is going to be, before long, that some modelers are tired of seeing Xwing Battle Bumper Jumper Dumper commanders smoking Wartweed and they would like to see a different topic. Perhaps Garnisheer Flaptellinters spitting Glimfluid for a change!

But to answer your question, yes, I like to see something other than Panzer commanders doing the Watusi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watusi

I like to see things other than Panzer commanders doing anything.

October 14th, 2010, 3:54 pm #3

OK, before you all start accusing me of beating a dead horse, I'll just direct you to compare the reactions to two new figure annoncements made recently on this board, the first one by Mantis Miniatures:

Notice that while both figure sets are quite comparable in terms of quality (both look outstanding), the Mantis announcement, featuring German subjects, did not trigger any response, while the Alpine one, which features Allied subjects, got a few reactions.

Now my comment is in no way meant as criticism of either of the sculptors' work, but more about the choice of subjects. Could it be that the market is now close to being saturated with figures depicting German tank commanders and field officers/NCO's in just about every possible variation of standard and non-standard uniform just standing around looking or pointing at something?

Maybe it's just me, but, quality notwithstanding, every time someone announces a new set of German figures, the first thought that crosses my mind is "Big Yawn".

For what it's worth,

Chicoutimi QC
Canada
Just joking, no more pointing figures please. Unless it is a ground troop poinying out a tarket while in the prone position. At least there would be a sense of action, rather than "Oh look someone's comming".

Tank has been producing some really nice "in action" figures lately. Warriors used to produce some nice sets as well. Problem with "in action" figures is sometimes they can distract from the vehicle.

If you wank more attention focused on the vehicle then figures just standing around (like Alpines fantastic figures) work well.

I would like to see more figures in crew positions in/on vehicles. Such as a TC peeping out a coupla through some binoculars (1/4 figure), Sdkfz 250 and 251 crew figures (like Dragon's set, but a set that actually fits the vehicle), Tank riders (both Soviet and German)hastily bailing of tanks or halftracks, ect.

October 14th, 2010, 4:09 pm #4

For what it's worth,

Chicoutimi QC
Canada
It seems like every other set that is released is some SS dude. I really like some of the poses that are out there but they are in distinctly SS garb. I would like some GD or generic Heer figures. Just my opinion.

Roy

October 14th, 2010, 5:29 pm #5

For what it's worth,

Chicoutimi QC
Canada
So sick of 98% of new releases being German. I think that the "praise" for the new Alpine figures is two-fold. One, they make great figures, and two, they were not German! Always nice to see new US figures in 1/35...now if we could only get manufacturers to do more Marines!

Rod

October 14th, 2010, 7:56 pm #6

It seems like every other set that is released is some SS dude. I really like some of the poses that are out there but they are in distinctly SS garb. I would like some GD or generic Heer figures. Just my opinion.

Roy
I was just recently looking for a good set of regular German army, resin figures to go along with a 11th Pz div Sdkfz 250. I was suprised, that there's not much out there, other than Dragons figures.

October 15th, 2010, 7:12 pm #7

In some language, "German Sells" sounds exactly like a rotten tomato hitting you!

you know, you hit a nerve with me, and I went into a long rant about the difference in this hobby between a person who was not born to a WW2 vet and who thinks about the war from an abstract perspective that is detached, and a person like me who grew up in a home that was totally affected by WW2, a fact that I was always reminded of when I looked at my Dad's right arm up until Christmas night, 2004.

But I erased it. Its hard to keep in mind that for probably most of the folks here, this is probably just a hobby about something that may have happened to their grandparents, maybe, and thus is just a kind of fantasy thing. Have you noticed, like I have, that fewer and fewer posts appear about actual WW2 history and at the same time more and more SiFi model images have appeared?

Thus, maybe the question is going to be, before long, that some modelers are tired of seeing Xwing Battle Bumper Jumper Dumper commanders smoking Wartweed and they would like to see a different topic. Perhaps Garnisheer Flaptellinters spitting Glimfluid for a change!

But to answer your question, yes, I like to see something other than Panzer commanders doing the Watusi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watusi

I like to see things other than Panzer commanders doing anything.
the only reason why German stuff sells more than other stuff is because their stuff just looks "cooler"....we German armor and figure builders aren't goose-stepping aryans who revere the German military of WWII. it's all about aesthetics and nothing more so - lighten up everybody!

dave

October 15th, 2010, 8:15 pm #8

Dave,

I assure you that my post/comment/rant had no "potilical" intent. I was just observing and, well, complaining that there seems to be no end to the proliferation of figure sets depicting German figures doing a lot of the same thing and pretty much all looking the same aside from the occasional variation in uniform or personal gear, and also wondering if anyone else besides me was getting weary of the "panzer commander+NCO or whatever just standing around" pattern.

And I also agree with Roy that three out of four new figure sets seem to depict troops in obviously SS-specific attire, which can hardly be considered representative.

When I first saw the Mantis Miniatures announcement, I immediately thought "Not again!", but at that time deciced not to post any sort of comment because 1. I didn't want to appear as though I was criticizing the excellent quality of the sculptor's work, 2. I didn't want to start any sort of political debate and 3. I don't buy resin figures anyway.

But then, when I saw the reaction tirggered by the Alpine announcement and compared it to the reaction - or lack thereof - triggered by the Mantis announcement, I thought I might raise the question of whether the market might be saturated with this sort of offering.

For what it's worth,

Chicoutimi QC
Canada

October 16th, 2010, 2:08 am #9

just trying to offer my take on why it is the way it is....

dave
Last edited by swann43 on October 16th, 2010, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 16th, 2010, 7:42 am #10

For what it's worth,

Chicoutimi QC
Canada
Boil the whole thing down, Be it Armour, Figures, and I would assume also Planes. Any manufacturor, be it plastic or resin is not in it to just please a few posters on a website or twenty. Take the two you are talking about. Alpine have been around for awhile now, can proobably afford to take some chances on different themes because people know their product is good. Mantis are fairly new on the scene so getting steady on their feet first. I would think that there would be quite a fee on figure scuplting so you would want to make sure you got a return on your investment before you went out on a limb and away from your "bread and butter". Why Axis over Allied? I can't explain it. It's just the way it is. If you require proof then just scroll up the website a bit and count how many pages on the Axis D.G. to the Allied D.G. It's the same on most Sites. Go to model shows, unless it's a themed one, what is the most popular side represented? I'm Australian, We were on the right side in the all the wars but we still do more Axis stuff than Allied. I think it's great that Trumpeter, Bronco and to some extent Dragon and Tamiya do Allied stuff. Again even to these companies they want a return for their work. With this very tool we are using now we should be able to get all the reference to build up to date modern weoponary but it is still in a minority. I work for the same company that produces the Bushmaster,There is a plastic kit being released soon.People at work say to me why don't I build it? I tell them it does't interest me. I'm sure I could get real good reference if I wanted to. I just like German WWII. We still want to know whether my Pz III was finished in Grey or Yellow and what markings did it have? I wish there was the "magic" answer that would please everyone but it ain't out there. Support every new release as it comes, and enjoy this great hobby. Dean