They called it Passchendaele

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

They called it Passchendaele

January 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm #1

Hello Modellers,

Some years ago I made this 1:35 diorama called "they called it Passchendaele" The diorama was donated in november 2007 to the Memorial Museum Passchendaele in the village Zonnebeke nearby Ypre Belgium.
The diorama depicts a stranded knocked out Mark IV with two soldiers. One soldier is trying to get his comrade out of the muddy ground.

World War1 and especially the Belgium Westhoek does interest me very much and inspired me to make this diorama. The tank is the well known Emhar mark IV Male tank and the figures are converted ICM figures with Hornet British WW1 heads.

Hope you like the photo's/ diorama

best regards
Pieter

January 27th, 2010, 11:00 am #2

Pieter,

That is an exceptionally good diorama, well done mate! It is also very poignant that the diorama was given to a very worthy local Museum in Passchendaele.

At the Museum I work (www.awm.gov.au) we have a range of First World War dioramas which includes one of Ypres -http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/dioramas/index.asp.

Speaking of Belgium, I have a relative buried there at 124 Voormezeele Enclosures No 1 and No 2. http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/r ... p?p=576621, I was the first relative to ever see his grave in January last year.

Please keep up the obviously great work Pieter!

Regards,

Garth

January 27th, 2010, 1:31 pm #3

Hello Modellers,

Some years ago I made this 1:35 diorama called "they called it Passchendaele" The diorama was donated in november 2007 to the Memorial Museum Passchendaele in the village Zonnebeke nearby Ypre Belgium.
The diorama depicts a stranded knocked out Mark IV with two soldiers. One soldier is trying to get his comrade out of the muddy ground.

World War1 and especially the Belgium Westhoek does interest me very much and inspired me to make this diorama. The tank is the well known Emhar mark IV Male tank and the figures are converted ICM figures with Hornet British WW1 heads.

best regards
Pieter
Very nice work on this diorama, 100% in the spirit of the battle. I especially like the way you work on mud and water. Even if the original kit needs a lot of improvement, and the F56 maybe more linked t the Cambrai battle, your work is a great homage to the men who fight and die on the Passchendaele battle.
Regards
Gilles(Lostiznaos)

January 27th, 2010, 4:46 pm #4

Thanks Gilles for the compliment...and you are right about the number of the tank ...this was in origin a Cambrai number (I found out a year later...ai!).

Because the Passendale period is still fascinating me I want to work on a new and bigger Passchendaele diorama....I want to build a female tank in a simular setting (but now a tank with the typical grousers) with attacking German stormtroopers . Still I do not know a lot about numbering and names of the Passendale tanks which were used*. If you have information about it please let me know.(are there particular books about it?)

Best regards,
Pieter

*I've seen some photos of bogged down tanks but I have also doubt about the colour of the tanks which were used, If you can share some info about it please...

January 27th, 2010, 5:26 pm #5

Hello Modellers,

best regards
Pieter
It's a very good work to present the hell of Paschendaele ! Congratulations !

Patrick

January 27th, 2010, 6:19 pm #6

Pieter,

That is an exceptionally good diorama, well done mate! It is also very poignant that the diorama was given to a very worthy local Museum in Passchendaele.

At the Museum I work (www.awm.gov.au) we have a range of First World War dioramas which includes one of Ypres -http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/dioramas/index.asp.

Speaking of Belgium, I have a relative buried there at 124 Voormezeele Enclosures No 1 and No 2. http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/r ... p?p=576621, I was the first relative to ever see his grave in January last year.

Please keep up the obviously great work Pieter!

Regards,

Garth
Hi Garth, thanks for your compliments.
I will certainly visit the grave of your relative in Voormeezele (from my home in Holland only a two hour drive).
Good luck with your very nice and very interesting museum!

Best regards
Pieter

ps
Unfortunate the link to the diorama does not work.

January 27th, 2010, 6:20 pm #7

Patrick
Thanks Patrick

January 27th, 2010, 8:50 pm #8

Patrick
Very impressive diorama, looking forward to seeing more of your work. Regards, Pat

January 28th, 2010, 12:57 am #9

Thanks Gilles for the compliment...and you are right about the number of the tank ...this was in origin a Cambrai number (I found out a year later...ai!).

Because the Passendale period is still fascinating me I want to work on a new and bigger Passchendaele diorama....I want to build a female tank in a simular setting (but now a tank with the typical grousers) with attacking German stormtroopers . Still I do not know a lot about numbering and names of the Passendale tanks which were used*. If you have information about it please let me know.(are there particular books about it?)

Best regards,
Pieter

*I've seen some photos of bogged down tanks but I have also doubt about the colour of the tanks which were used, If you can share some info about it please...
Hi

I've notes from the War Diaries of the Battalions at Passchendaele - e-mail me and I can send you the file

Basically, the battalions marked up pretty much as they did for cambrai...

Mike Cooper

January 28th, 2010, 7:13 am #10

Very impressive diorama, looking forward to seeing more of your work. Regards, Pat
You did a great and it looks like the real thing. The mud is incredible!