The part of the process you dislike the most?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

The part of the process you dislike the most?

January 21st, 2011, 11:55 pm #1

Just wondering what part of the kit assembly process is what you may dislike the most. For me, its dealing with way complicated etch (as opposed to a small fret that may come with a kit that's manageable) as well as painting, which I would be happiest to avoid because the risk factor in screwing up a subject that's proceeded finely to that point is greatest.

January 22nd, 2011, 12:28 am #2

I really hate painting. I have many unpainted but built kits (normally at about the 95-99% complete mark) that I just never get around to painting.

RobG
RobG

January 22nd, 2011, 1:27 am #3

Just wondering what part of the kit assembly process is what you may dislike the most. For me, its dealing with way complicated etch (as opposed to a small fret that may come with a kit that's manageable) as well as painting, which I would be happiest to avoid because the risk factor in screwing up a subject that's proceeded finely to that point is greatest.
...........I vote for (against??) cleaning up individual link tracks and cleaning road-wheel seams.

Frank

January 22nd, 2011, 1:45 am #4

Yeah, I'm in it with FRANK ! I hate cleaning up road wheels. Those Ejector pin marks on th Trax are Agonizing !! Or even trying to Clean th seams on D.S. tires !! UH !!! I'D rather listen to Ramstein ( Hurrrrl) !

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

January 22nd, 2011, 3:49 am #5

...........I vote for (against??) cleaning up individual link tracks and cleaning road-wheel seams.

Frank
markings..that's my story.
Ken

January 22nd, 2011, 7:28 am #6

Frank
Photo etch? No problem -- not even tons of it

Replacing rivets/bolts? I actually enjoy it

Painting? Weathering? Not my fav but I know the end is near so it gets lots of attention

Barrel seam lines? Sandpaper, no biggie

Indy track links? OK -- this will wear on me...

... but nothing bugs me more than roadwheel seams!!!!!

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

January 22nd, 2011, 8:40 am #7

My time at the model bench is so very irregular that I find the gap between such events the most frustrating. Inevitably I will find out that I now have better reference that makes past work redundant or I simply spend all available time trying to remember where I left off.Hopefully, this weekend (with the wife away) I'll make my final set of fenders for my 1/35th Ram Kangaroo and thus push completion within a
decade of effort.

FWIW,
Ron V

January 22nd, 2011, 10:40 am #8

Photo etch? No problem -- not even tons of it

Replacing rivets/bolts? I actually enjoy it

Painting? Weathering? Not my fav but I know the end is near so it gets lots of attention

Barrel seam lines? Sandpaper, no biggie

Indy track links? OK -- this will wear on me...

... but nothing bugs me more than roadwheel seams!!!!!

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
...I usually clean up the wheels first as it gets it out of the way!

Robert Price

January 22nd, 2011, 11:44 am #9

I must be weird, I enjoy all of it: etch, wheel seams, painting and weathering, cleaning up a certain well known highly priced manufacturer's huge number of attachment points per part, filling pin marks, replacing rivets ALL of it. I love it.

Even when the task is not about detailling but is about cleaning up, I still enjoy it because every seam I sand and every pin makr I shave off or fill sharpens my basic modelling skills and they can never be too good to need a bit of a practice. It also gives me satisfaction to know I found it and did it making that kit I'm spending all that time on just a bit closer to being quite good

The only thing I really hate is seperating large resin parts from large pouring stubs. I hate sawing, filing and sanding resin, but I like resin kits, so I guess I'm stuck with it!

January 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm #10

CHRIS,

Cool !! Would you mind swinging by th Panzer Shoppe ? I have a few Sets of Road Wheels that need to be cleaned up ?

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???