The Fordson project

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

The Fordson project

February 6th, 2009, 1:15 pm #1

Hi!

As I cannot paint a lot during winter (I only work with natural light) I turn to another Rolls, the Jordi Rubio's one.
To be honnest I was "a bit" disappointed at the time I open the box, and not far to throw it out of the window, but as there was some discussions about the Fordson and It was one of my old projects to built one anytime, I try some experiments.

Only a part of the armored cab is retained, as the front mudguards...
The chassis comes from a Tamiya Chevrolet, slightly modified, and the wheels are made from Gaz AA Zis5. I'm not very happy with the tyres, about 0.8mm too big and with different sculpts, but I havn't found anything better until now.

[/IMG]

The rear is totally rebuilt but without detail until today.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Far to be finished and rather provisional, bu I would be very happy to have any comment you could imagine!
Regards.
Gilles(Lostiznaos)

February 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm #2

Gilles

What you have done so far is fabulous.

I do have one question - why did you choose to use a Tamiya chassis? As far as I can tell the Rubio frame is more like a Fordson than an Rolls, at least in the area around the rear suspension where its most visible

Aidrian

February 6th, 2009, 6:07 pm #3

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I change the whole chassis because I wasn't happy with the JR part. It looks to me like it is a mix beetwen a Rolls (the front) and the Fordson (the rear) and wrong for both as the actual kit is too short to depict a real Fordson and springs are wrong to a Rolls.
The Tamiya chassis is really close to the original Fordson, at last for what could be seen, especially the springs;
Nothing will be lost, I'll use the priginal parts to built a... AMO 15!
Regards
Gilles(Lostiznaos)

February 6th, 2009, 8:59 pm #4

Hi!

I think you have done a great job.
I have the Tommy Atkins Fordsonkit (resin and pewter) and he has used a modified Tamiya Chevychassie as well.
I am looking forward to see your progress of this.

Erik
Sweden

February 8th, 2009, 11:49 pm #5

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I change the whole chassis because I wasn't happy with the JR part. It looks to me like it is a mix beetwen a Rolls (the front) and the Fordson (the rear) and wrong for both as the actual kit is too short to depict a real Fordson and springs are wrong to a Rolls.
The Tamiya chassis is really close to the original Fordson, at last for what could be seen, especially the springs;
Nothing will be lost, I'll use the priginal parts to built a... AMO 15!
Regards
Gilles(Lostiznaos)
I had another look at the Fordon drawings and can see what you mean about the length being a bit off - but how about those wheels? I can see what you did but would love to know how you did it - filing freehand circles in irrpelaceable resin parts seems a risky proposition 

February 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm #6

Well, Some months ago, I've bought Zis tyres from Jadar. The reference gives only tyres and they was a bit small to pass with the Zis plastic wheels so I use others on my Zis6 and decided to use those ones on the Fordson even if , as I said before, I'm not very happy with the solution...
I try to check all british vehicles on the market to found anything closer to the original, but without any success until today!
Regards
Gilles

February 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm #7

I had another look at the Fordon drawings and can see what you mean about the length being a bit off - but how about those wheels? I can see what you did but would love to know how you did it - filing freehand circles in irrpelaceable resin parts seems a risky proposition 
Well, Some months ago, I've bought Zis tyres from Jadar. The reference gives only tyres and they was a bit small to pass with the Zis plastic wheels so I use others on my Zis6 and decided to use those ones on the Fordson even if , as I said before, I'm not very happy with the solution...
I try to check all british vehicles on the market to found anything closer to the original, but without any success until today!
Regards
Gilles

February 10th, 2009, 3:26 am #8

Hi!

As I cannot paint a lot during winter (I only work with natural light) I turn to another Rolls, the Jordi Rubio's one.
To be honnest I was "a bit" disappointed at the time I open the box, and not far to throw it out of the window, but as there was some discussions about the Fordson and It was one of my old projects to built one anytime, I try some experiments.

Only a part of the armored cab is retained, as the front mudguards...
The chassis comes from a Tamiya Chevrolet, slightly modified, and the wheels are made from Gaz AA Zis5. I'm not very happy with the tyres, about 0.8mm too big and with different sculpts, but I havn't found anything better until now.

[/IMG]

The rear is totally rebuilt but without detail until today.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Far to be finished and rather provisional, bu I would be very happy to have any comment you could imagine!
Regards.
Gilles(Lostiznaos)
Really nice work ... you might want to check out my web site for more details.

Please continue to post more pictures!!!

http://rafarmdcarcomp.multiply.com/

February 10th, 2009, 9:31 am #9

Hi Kerry!
Thanks for your comments.
I'm very happy to see you have a look on my model.
Your website is one of my favourite regarding RAF Rolls Royce and especially the Fordson, along with pics from IWM.
To say more, I actually use your drawings published in "tankette" years ago as basis. I don't know if you update it (I cannot recieved Tankette anymore since I moved to middle east 8 years ago) but it is still very usefull!
One point I'm not sure with is the rear compartement hatch. some drawing shows two panel, but I only dound pictures showing a single panel. The actual position is not always evident too.

All the best!
gilles(lostiznaos)