"The final push - Berlin, May 1945"

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

"The final push - Berlin, May 1945"

March 13th, 2014, 7:32 pm #1

Herewith a few pictures of my latest completed project, depicting a Russian T-34/85 with spring armour with supporting infantry launching an attack in the last days of the Battle of Berlin.

The T-34 is the DML kit with scratchbuilt spring armour, Friul tracks, Moskit exhausts and a Greif clear lense for the light. All five figures are the beautifully sculpted recent Stalingrad releases and the building ruin a wall taken from Dioramas Plus Sneak attack kit.

The bathroom and bedroom furniture pieces are from Plus Models and Verlinden and the book on the study floor is from Andrea. The wallpaper and the bathroom tiles are from Reality in Scale and the framed picture from Plus Models. The street light is a Mig Productions item. The discarded pieces of clothing were made from tissue paper soaked in white glue mixed with water.

The base elements are all scratchbuilt pieces cobblestone road section and sidewalk sections cut to size. The rubble I made from plaster mixed with appropriate acrylic paints (red brown for one batch and light grey/sand for the other), smashing the plaster blobs into small pieces once it has set. The rubble is then placed on the base as appropriate and pieces of broken balsa wood, wire and plastic tubing added along the way. This process is done in several layers, each time securing the latest layer of rubble to the base by dripping white glue mixed with tap water onto the base. The last step is to add a mixture of pigments to simulate the dust that is so prevalent on any rubble heap. A Reality in Scale German enamel advertising sign was added to the rubble.

A most enjoyable project, which started many months ago with an idea and a glass of red wine!

Hope you like it.

March 13th, 2014, 8:01 pm #2

It's a fantastic scene! Very convincing details.
Great job and skål!
/Carl

March 13th, 2014, 9:12 pm #3

Excellent atmosphere
Would really love to see a Berliner cowering behind the toilet
Craig (8wheels-good)
https://www.facebook.com/8wheelsgoodPzIVarchive/
http://8wheels-good.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.blurb.co.uk/user/store/8wheels-good

March 13th, 2014, 11:14 pm #4

Herewith a few pictures of my latest completed project, depicting a Russian T-34/85 with spring armour with supporting infantry launching an attack in the last days of the Battle of Berlin.

The T-34 is the DML kit with scratchbuilt spring armour, Friul tracks, Moskit exhausts and a Greif clear lense for the light. All five figures are the beautifully sculpted recent Stalingrad releases and the building ruin a wall taken from Dioramas Plus Sneak attack kit.

The bathroom and bedroom furniture pieces are from Plus Models and Verlinden and the book on the study floor is from Andrea. The wallpaper and the bathroom tiles are from Reality in Scale and the framed picture from Plus Models. The street light is a Mig Productions item. The discarded pieces of clothing were made from tissue paper soaked in white glue mixed with water.

The base elements are all scratchbuilt pieces cobblestone road section and sidewalk sections cut to size. The rubble I made from plaster mixed with appropriate acrylic paints (red brown for one batch and light grey/sand for the other), smashing the plaster blobs into small pieces once it has set. The rubble is then placed on the base as appropriate and pieces of broken balsa wood, wire and plastic tubing added along the way. This process is done in several layers, each time securing the latest layer of rubble to the base by dripping white glue mixed with tap water onto the base. The last step is to add a mixture of pigments to simulate the dust that is so prevalent on any rubble heap. A Reality in Scale German enamel advertising sign was added to the rubble.

A most enjoyable project, which started many months ago with an idea and a glass of red wine!

Hope you like it.

You have rally captured the feel of a pulverized city. All the elements are beautifully rendered .

March 13th, 2014, 11:49 pm #5

Hope you like it.

You can tell a man lived in the wrecked apartment...he left the seat up. Beautiful work.

Brian
Don't be a Big Scale Bigot, go Braille Scale all the way.
Brian

March 14th, 2014, 7:47 am #6

Hope you like it.

Meant to post my message here, my apologies. Another excellent diorama, Gert. You keep churning them out. Very well done.

March 14th, 2014, 4:43 pm #7

Hope you like it.

One thing I see missing often in dioramas is that coating of dust on everything--even with rubble they often look too "clean". But it unifies everything in your scene--demolition dust get on (and in everything!).
The rubble on the engine deck is a bit disconcerting--are those actual holes in the screen? I'd hate to have that stuff fall into my engine compartment.....

March 14th, 2014, 6:38 pm #8

Hope you like it.

Excellent diorama - looks very convincing. I wonder where the water goes when the toilet's flushed.

March 14th, 2014, 7:54 pm #9

Hope you like it.

Looks wonderful, very nice!

March 15th, 2014, 8:33 am #10

Hi
As many dioramas I see are just not dusty enough. Everything gets covered, and colours blend together or get washed out. A great piece.

Possibly the loo waste goes out through the concrete floor?

Cheers
Andrew