The bit doesn't fit

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

The bit doesn't fit

March 2nd, 2016, 12:47 pm #1

I have a cheap, adjustable Dremel knock-off. I want to use +0.3mm bits, in it. However, the chuck's minimum diameter tolerance is 1/8". I am trying to figure out how to go about mating the two. There is too much of a gap for tape and finding the center of the socket precludes using wooden shims. Can anyone help me out?

March 2nd, 2016, 12:54 pm #2

You might be able to get a set of the dremel ones to work if they're similar..

March 2nd, 2016, 4:03 pm #3

I will check them out.
Last edited by Retiredyank on March 2nd, 2016, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2016, 6:04 pm #4

I have a cheap, adjustable Dremel knock-off. I want to use +0.3mm bits, in it. However, the chuck's minimum diameter tolerance is 1/8". I am trying to figure out how to go about mating the two. There is too much of a gap for tape and finding the center of the socket precludes using wooden shims. Can anyone help me out?
I believe Micro mark sells a chuck that will screw into a 1/8th collet. Dremel also sells a chuck but it may only fit their tools.

March 9th, 2016, 8:09 pm #5

I have ordered a chuck. It is not specifically for a Dremel, but looks like it will fit.

March 24th, 2016, 12:31 pm #6

With a little modification the chuck I ordered fits.