The Amazing Medium C Hornet, And Its Enigmatic Male Version.

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

The Amazing Medium C Hornet, And Its Enigmatic Male Version.

March 20th, 2004, 10:39 am #1

Everyone knows of the wonderful Medium Mark C Hornet, the realisation of every one of William Trittons ideas. It was a tank designed from the beginning to be the best. William Tritton even talked with as many tank crews he could to get their ideas of how to make a far superior tank. And as such, Tritton made the tank very habitable. Most of the problems that plagued the crew of the early tanks were addressed in it.

Everyone has seen pictures of the mighty female version. But there was also a prototype made with a front mounted 6pdr gun with limited traverse. Because it wasnt found completely satisfactory, the plan for a Male version was scrapped, and only the Females went into production.

But I think a Male Hornet would be quite awesome! I cant even really imagine what that would look like. Im a very curious guy about this stuff. Are there any pictures of this machine? Anyone ever tried to scratch build it? It seems a very interesting subject, just like all of the other prototype British tanks.

-Vil.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

March 22nd, 2004, 1:32 pm #2

Drawings of the Medium C Male featured in Wheel snd Tracks some years ago. I've never seen photos or confirmation that one was made. The Library at Bovinton should have details. If you can't get a copy of the W&T piece or need a full reference, mail me off list.

March 23rd, 2004, 5:31 am #3

Well, the reason the Male Medium C didnt go into production right away, was because of the limited traverse it offered with its 6 pounder gun. So it seems apparent that at least a prototype was built. Even then, a good number of them were ordered. But because of the armistice, they were all cancelled, and only some Females got built.

I would absolutely love the pictures you have! I cannot get my hands on that book you mentioned, so if you could scan that page or two for me, I would be incredibly thankful! The Hornet is like the Sports Car of WW1 tanks. While others may be cooler looking, the Hornet was probably the only one that wouldnt be a hell to serve in, hehe.

-Vil.