Terrian in Tunisia

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Terrian in Tunisia

Yang Weiqiang
Yang Weiqiang

March 3rd, 2004, 2:09 pm #1

I hope to re-paint my old Tamiya Tiger I into the Tunisia dark yellow scheme. Problem is my tracks already had "pastered mud" (it was previously an eastern front Tiger I).

I saw some pics on the net and it seems that Tunisia is mostly dusty terrian, so is it correct to have mud on tracks?

Thanks, Yang

Andrew Nelson
Andrew Nelson

March 3rd, 2004, 7:06 pm #2

You'll want to redo or replace your tracks if you can. Tunisia is greener than Libya and Egypt, but it's still pretty dry and dusty there for the most part.

Piet Duits
Piet Duits

March 3rd, 2004, 7:21 pm #3

Hi,

When the allies were fighting the germans and italians in Tunesia, the weather was awfull.
So, you can build your Tiger I with mud on the tracks.

Piet

claude GILLONO
claude GILLONO

March 4th, 2004, 6:25 pm #4

IIRC, the Allies had a great problem because the Luftwaffe used permanent airfields where operations were not affected by the mud during the winter. Whereas they had to operate from expedient strips near the front.
But weather improved somewhat in the springtime.
So, mud? Yes!

Yang Weiqiang
Yang Weiqiang

March 5th, 2004, 2:16 am #5

So, did it snow in Winter 42-43 Tunisia? Will it be correct to show white-wash scheme for my Tiger I or should it remain dark yellow? Thanks.

claude GILLONO
claude GILLONO

March 7th, 2004, 8:03 pm #6

the winter is usually a cold and wet (meaning RAIN) season in this area.

yang weiqiang
yang weiqiang

March 8th, 2004, 8:43 am #7

Thks Guys, will start on my Tunisian Tiger I now. Cheers

Dave Bailey
Dave Bailey

March 10th, 2004, 6:33 pm #8

Yang: The best photos of the muddied road & terrain conditions of Tunisia are found in the recent book on the 10th Panzer Division by J.Restayn and N. Moller. The Tunisian campaign was fought from early January to early May 1943 - the cool/cold, intermittantly rainy season in that part of Norht Africa. In my opinion, not quite as severe as Russian mud but certainly a nice African 'gumbo'.