TDGB...WIP Tamiya King Tiger

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

TDGB...WIP Tamiya King Tiger

June 29th, 2011, 5:31 pm #1

Hello,

I've been slowly working on my tank destroyer for the group build. This will be my first time joining one here. It's been a while since I've worked on any armor and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things.

I'm using the Tamiya kit pretty much box stock. I do have a PE set for it that I may add bits from here and there.

So far I've got most of the assembly done, and I decided to try Mike Rinaldi's trick he used on his Panther to do the sides wit the tracks and road wheels all as complete units. It was only right after all the glue dried he told me not to try it! LOL But it worked out OK. I used a Vallejo track brown for the base colors, then the road wheels were sprayed a lightened mix of Tamiya Dk. Yellow, followed by the camo. I cleaned up all the over spray by painting the insides of the tracks with a dark rusty mix of 502 oils. The road wheels were given a dark wash of AK's excellent "dark wash" and the tracks were covered with Mig pigments.

I need to get back to the rest of assembly, but at least I'm moving forward!

Thanks for looking,

Clay

June 29th, 2011, 5:45 pm #2

Nice job!

Scott Gentry

June 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm #3

I've still got a lot to learn. Maybe this will just be a normal old WIP then! I thought I had seen it on a list of TD's before I started. If it's not, I'll edit my header there.

June 29th, 2011, 6:41 pm #4

nt

June 29th, 2011, 7:10 pm #5

Hello,

I've been slowly working on my tank destroyer for the group build. This will be my first time joining one here. It's been a while since I've worked on any armor and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things.

I'm using the Tamiya kit pretty much box stock. I do have a PE set for it that I may add bits from here and there.

So far I've got most of the assembly done, and I decided to try Mike Rinaldi's trick he used on his Panther to do the sides wit the tracks and road wheels all as complete units. It was only right after all the glue dried he told me not to try it! LOL But it worked out OK. I used a Vallejo track brown for the base colors, then the road wheels were sprayed a lightened mix of Tamiya Dk. Yellow, followed by the camo. I cleaned up all the over spray by painting the insides of the tracks with a dark rusty mix of 502 oils. The road wheels were given a dark wash of AK's excellent "dark wash" and the tracks were covered with Mig pigments.

Thanks for looking,

Clay
Hi Clay;

It's been far too long since I've seen something new from you, but it was worth the wait my friend. Your KT running gear is just lovely, I have never been able to paint suspensions like you have done here, in a full sub-assembly. I just fumble around with it fully glued on the hull.
I am keen to see more of this little Tiger, Clay. Your work always inspires me.

Cheers, Pat

June 29th, 2011, 7:10 pm #6

Hello,

Thanks for looking,

Clay
oops!
Last edited by pjpanzer on June 29th, 2011, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 29th, 2011, 7:43 pm #7

Hello,

Thanks for looking,

Clay
Hi Clay,

You're painjob on the running gear is great , in particulary your tracks.

I think you're on the way for making a really masterpiece with that Kingtiger !

Well done,
David

June 30th, 2011, 12:24 am #8

Hello,

Thanks for looking,

Clay
Especially when you've pulled it off so masterfully. In my defense, I was really referring to rubber tired models and the difficulty with this tip and getting into those hard to reach areas.

If you ask me, it looks like you've done this trick a few times. Love the track coloring, it came out great man!

Best,

Mike

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?."

June 30th, 2011, 1:04 am #9

But I didn't want to slight your help either. Really, these tracks and road wheels are plenty big on this kit, I should have done the tracks all as one piece with an opening, and glued the road wheels on the hull. But it worked this time. And I totally agree with you, if it was a rubber road wheel, I would have been screwed.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hope I don't screw up the paint when it counts!

Clay

June 30th, 2011, 1:09 am #10

Hello,

Thanks for looking,

Clay
Love them very much.

The Duke
------------------
Talk Less, Build More
http://tinyworldofcalvingoh.blogspot.com/