Tauro Fiat 3000

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Tauro Fiat 3000

November 23rd, 2011, 2:57 pm #1

I bought and built one of these over twenty years ago while a lieutenant in Germany. I wasn't satisfied with the build but grabbed another before I left. At the time, I thought it might be worth something in the future. Does anyone know if there is any aftermarket items to improve this kit? Or better yet, is it even worth it to try to improve.

I remember finding the vinyl tracks too short on the kit I built. Did anyone make replacement tracks?

I'm staring at my small stash of WW1/pre-war tanks, (Tauro A7V & Fiat 3000, AER T-18 and RPM FT-17) and have an urge to build one. I've tried the A7V (started one in Germany and like the Fiat, grabbed it for later), and am very aprehensive about ever taking that kit out of the box. I've read some stuff on the AER kit that Steve Zaloga wrote for Boresight and have set that kit aside as well. I've seen a MR Modellbau (?) conversion for the FT-17 to make it into a US 1917 tank and want to go that route for it so I don't want to start it until I run that item down.

That leaves me the Tauro Fiat.

RobG
RobG

November 23rd, 2011, 7:22 pm #2

November 24th, 2011, 2:24 pm #3

they look good. Hopefully I can get them without any problem, any other improvements available for this kit? As is, it's almost like throwing good money at a poor kit.

RobG
RobG

November 29th, 2011, 11:27 pm #4

Hi Guys:
I have built both kits and while they are crude they can be tons of fun.The Fiat 3000 tracks are a bit of a pain but are useable. Of more concern would be the kit turret, which I recall was a truly bad fit and I scratchbuilt the turret roof plate and had to replace all the rivets. To tell the truth the kit is buildable. I just wish they had done the Fiat Carro Pesante, the Heavy MkI and the Schneider CA1 like the A7V box promised...
As for the AER T18, it is a shockingly badly engineered kit. I have built one and have one left to build when I feel the urge. I would suggest using the kit hull, but replace the drivers doors so they better hide the very thick hull sides. The wheels should be replaced from rod and tube or reworked to match the real thing, on my kit many were badly shaped.The kit suspension is simplified and could use replacement from plastic tube and rod where possible, no easy job but more tedious than anything else. The kit track is useable but the links are not very good representations, but with that said I cannot think of what might do better... though the Trumpy Voroshilovets wheels and tracks, or the late pattern Matilda tracks (modified) from Bronco might just do if the size is similar,I have not checked but the shapes would possibly work with mods. The turret on the kit will need surgery, the best part is the cupola dome, but there is a great book in the Armada series with plans which would be of help, the M1931 version of the T18 is a far better looking beast anyways! There were even some T18s tested with T26 suspension parts and tracks, and rearmed with the 45mm gun, so that might be another decent option.
On both kits the armament barrels must be replaced and lots of small details must be replaced, but that is the joy of modelling and we will not see these beasties from Dragon or Tamiya! They are nothing that plastic card, wire, and ingenuity cannot fix.
Merlin