Tasca vs. Italeri, the Sherman M32??

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Tasca vs. Italeri, the Sherman M32??

July 9th, 2012, 12:36 am #1

I already own the Italeri Sherman M32 kit, and I was wondering a couple of things:

1/ is the Tasca kit the same "version" of the M32 as the Italeri kit?

2/ how accurate was the Italeri kit to begin with?

3/ accurate or not, how do the two kits compare? Given the poor economy, should someone interested in Shermans shell out the US$80 for the Tasca kit anyway?

Any help in making this decision would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew

July 9th, 2012, 1:51 am #2

Andrew, check this site for what is wrong with the Italeri M32

http://www.usarmymodels.com/AFV%20PHOTO ... 20TRV.html

I have built both (just completing the Tasca) and there is no comparison between the two. Tasca is hands down the better kit. However along with that comes increased complexity.

A couple of criticisms of the Tasca kit: it lacks a driver compartment, which is very visible through the open hatches and roof, and the string provided for the cables is not convincing.

Hope this helps

Eric

July 9th, 2012, 1:51 am #3

I already own the Italeri Sherman M32 kit, and I was wondering a couple of things:

3/ accurate or not, how do the two kits compare? Given the poor economy, should someone interested in Shermans shell out the US$80 for the Tasca kit anyway?

Cheers,
Andrew
If you already have the Italeri kit, it can be made into a decent model, though if you are modeling the standard model you will need do source an early M4A1(small hatch) hull, among other things. It just depends on how far you are willing to go with it. If you buy Eduard sets, tracks, hulls, tools etc from the aftermarket and really go to town you will end up spending more on the kit than just going out and buying the Tasca kit, with much the same, possibly worse, results. If you aren't too fussy it builds up nicely and looks ok as it is, if not entirely accurate.

Alex

July 9th, 2012, 2:06 am #4

Cheers,
Andrew
Hey Andrew.

I understand your concern about shelling out big bucks for the new Tasca kit, but here are some answers to your questions that may tip the balance for you...

Yes, they're both supposed to depict the M32B1, the version of the M32 based on the caat-hull M4A1. That said, however, took the obvious shortcut and used the hull from their M4A1 kit - actually a M4A1(76)W - which features the larger, angled driver's hatches. Now as far as is known, there were no M32's built on this type of hull in WWII.

Because Italeri based their kit on the M4A1(76)W, the kits suffers a few accuracies, besides the hull hatches mentioned above, namely the suspension which also is of a later type (with upswept return roller arms) than what was normally seen on M32B2's in WWII (I believe you can find pictures of vehicles with at least one of its original bogies replaced with the later type, but those would be occasional only).

The main difference here is not so much accuracy as it is detail. The Italeri kit is what? 30 years old? So it suffers from most of the issues common to all Italeri Sherman kits, i.e. smooth texture, stiff tracks, sketchy pioneer tools, poor .50 cal MG, etc. By comparison, the Tasca kit is an awesome model with loads of fine detail (including clamps to buid the cables), and is a superlative model even by today's standards. Comparing it to the Italeri may not be like comparing oranges and apples, but it might be like comparing fresh oranges with Tang powder.

For what it's worth.

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

July 9th, 2012, 2:09 am #5

Cheers,
Andrew
Swap out the VVSS for HVSS on the Italeri and make it a post war variant it's closer to an M32A1B1 anyways.

Regards,
Gary D.

July 9th, 2012, 3:33 am #6

Hey Andrew.

I understand your concern about shelling out big bucks for the new Tasca kit, but here are some answers to your questions that may tip the balance for you...

Yes, they're both supposed to depict the M32B1, the version of the M32 based on the caat-hull M4A1. That said, however, took the obvious shortcut and used the hull from their M4A1 kit - actually a M4A1(76)W - which features the larger, angled driver's hatches. Now as far as is known, there were no M32's built on this type of hull in WWII.

Because Italeri based their kit on the M4A1(76)W, the kits suffers a few accuracies, besides the hull hatches mentioned above, namely the suspension which also is of a later type (with upswept return roller arms) than what was normally seen on M32B2's in WWII (I believe you can find pictures of vehicles with at least one of its original bogies replaced with the later type, but those would be occasional only).

The main difference here is not so much accuracy as it is detail. The Italeri kit is what? 30 years old? So it suffers from most of the issues common to all Italeri Sherman kits, i.e. smooth texture, stiff tracks, sketchy pioneer tools, poor .50 cal MG, etc. By comparison, the Tasca kit is an awesome model with loads of fine detail (including clamps to buid the cables), and is a superlative model even by today's standards. Comparing it to the Italeri may not be like comparing oranges and apples, but it might be like comparing fresh oranges with Tang powder.

For what it's worth.

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)
"Now as far as is known, there were no M32's built on this type of hull in WWII. "

I'm aware of photos of a 20AD, 20TB large hatch M32B1 ARV in 1945, Germany. So it did exist -- but the discovery of the photo was like hen's teeth.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

July 9th, 2012, 6:31 am #7

Cheers,
Andrew
I read somewhere that the Italeri uses a smaller diameter boom pole and represents an earlier boom than Tasca. I have not been able to verify this, either for the kits or the real thing.
Last edited by BrianInOregon on July 9th, 2012, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 7:50 pm #8

So I will have to tweak mine ... others pack out the turret sides where they bend in to the rear, and it does work. Otherwise I read the 2 spare roadwheels cannot be suitably mounted at the rear.

Cheers
Andrew

July 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm #9

If you already have the Italeri kit, it can be made into a decent model, though if you are modeling the standard model you will need do source an early M4A1(small hatch) hull, among other things. It just depends on how far you are willing to go with it. If you buy Eduard sets, tracks, hulls, tools etc from the aftermarket and really go to town you will end up spending more on the kit than just going out and buying the Tasca kit, with much the same, possibly worse, results. If you aren't too fussy it builds up nicely and looks ok as it is, if not entirely accurate.

Alex
THe large hatch in the Italeri has bee found in some pictures, It was a very rare version, but was a M32.

The Two big differences in the two is price and age. The Tasca is about four times the price of the Italeri and forty years newer.

How picky are you with your models?

July 10th, 2012, 5:33 pm #10

So I will have to tweak mine ... others pack out the turret sides where they bend in to the rear, and it does work. Otherwise I read the 2 spare roadwheels cannot be suitably mounted at the rear.

Cheers
Andrew
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this dialogue. Seems I will have to ask for a Tasca M32 for my birthday, which thankfully is coming up in a month's time!!
Cheers,
Andrew