Tasca's pricing policy

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Tasca's pricing policy

June 30th, 2012, 5:21 am #1

The reason Tasca kits are so expensive is that they have a no discount policy.
Any dealer discounting their kits will not be sold any.

Owen

June 30th, 2012, 6:51 am #2

How do you know this???
Not true, I got a Taska M4A1 on DISCOUNT fromn Lucky Model....blows that away a bit huh?
Shane

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to help anyone.

June 30th, 2012, 7:32 am #3

About 2 years ago I picked up several Tasca kits from Dragon USA Online at less than half price in a sale, so discounting does happen.

Graham

June 30th, 2012, 3:07 pm #4

I was just stating what they told a dealer.
Maybe because Dragon USA and Lucky are connected with Japan that they get a discount?
His exact words were, "Tasca said, If you discount our models we will not sell to you".

Owen

June 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm #5

Owen
But the US importer, Pacific Coast Models policy.

I have purchased Tasca from both Tasca direct, and PCM. Tasca could care less what I sold them for retail, however if I buy them from PCM, the end retail price is set in stone.

The rational behind that is no matter what hobby shop or online store (in the US) you buy your Tasca kit from, it should be the same price.

Some people agree with that....some people don't. I can see the benefits both ways, but when places like Lucky Model or HobbyEasy want to sell them at deeply discounted prices, it makes the set retail idea not work all that well.

Fortunately, the price from LM is only about $10 less than the set US pricing, unlike other brands where the difference it price is much greater. Also, Tasca is a Japanese product being imported to China....so there are customs fees applied to the product because of this.

June 30th, 2012, 4:06 pm #6

About 2 years ago I picked up several Tasca kits from Dragon USA Online at less than half price in a sale, so discounting does happen.

Graham
I notice several other online retailers have discontinued handling Tasca. Curious why neither Squadron nor Sprue Bros sell Tasca. Mid Tenn hobbies blew out their stock at the end of the year and now no longer sell Tasca.

Paul

June 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm #7

But the US importer, Pacific Coast Models policy.

I have purchased Tasca from both Tasca direct, and PCM. Tasca could care less what I sold them for retail, however if I buy them from PCM, the end retail price is set in stone.

The rational behind that is no matter what hobby shop or online store (in the US) you buy your Tasca kit from, it should be the same price.

Some people agree with that....some people don't. I can see the benefits both ways, but when places like Lucky Model or HobbyEasy want to sell them at deeply discounted prices, it makes the set retail idea not work all that well.

Fortunately, the price from LM is only about $10 less than the set US pricing, unlike other brands where the difference it price is much greater. Also, Tasca is a Japanese product being imported to China....so there are customs fees applied to the product because of this.
Not a big fan of price fixing.
DAVID NICKELS

June 30th, 2012, 7:52 pm #8

Owen
Greetings,

"Expensive" is a relative word and to be meaningful needs a comparison to become clear. Tasca kit retail prices in the USA and Canada range from $46.95 to 79.95 with the majority at $61.95. We check the prices of new kits from other makers from time to time and have seen that our Tasca retail prices are competitive.

Secondly, Tasca does all their work in house (except for box printing). This includes doing their own research and making their own molds. They work closely with some modelers for research information. Their kits may very well be the best armor kits in the world for accuracy and fit. These facts support the retail prices and our sales.

Third, our policy is to support the local brick and mortar hobby shops as we think that this is where the future of the hobby will be and not with internet discounters. By setting the retail price, it allows them to stock kits from us so that modelers can inspect the kit before buying it.

Set retail prices are the wave of the future. If you haven't seen this yet, check out Sony and Samsung's new set retail price policy on TV sets. Also Apple. Tommy Hilfiger is now exclusive to Macy's.

For those of you who may be interested, check out the 2007 Supreme Court decision "PSKS vs. Leegins" which overturned the 1911 price fixing law. Thanks for your support and

Best Regards,

Ken Lawrence
Pacific Coast Models, Inc.
www.pacmodels.com

June 30th, 2012, 8:21 pm #9

I notice several other online retailers have discontinued handling Tasca. Curious why neither Squadron nor Sprue Bros sell Tasca. Mid Tenn hobbies blew out their stock at the end of the year and now no longer sell Tasca.

Paul
Sprue Bros stopped selling Tasca, because Pacific Coast Models, the distributor stated that retailers had to sell at list, or not sell Tasca. HTH, Joel.

June 30th, 2012, 9:10 pm #10

Greetings,

"Expensive" is a relative word and to be meaningful needs a comparison to become clear. Tasca kit retail prices in the USA and Canada range from $46.95 to 79.95 with the majority at $61.95. We check the prices of new kits from other makers from time to time and have seen that our Tasca retail prices are competitive.

Secondly, Tasca does all their work in house (except for box printing). This includes doing their own research and making their own molds. They work closely with some modelers for research information. Their kits may very well be the best armor kits in the world for accuracy and fit. These facts support the retail prices and our sales.

Third, our policy is to support the local brick and mortar hobby shops as we think that this is where the future of the hobby will be and not with internet discounters. By setting the retail price, it allows them to stock kits from us so that modelers can inspect the kit before buying it.

Set retail prices are the wave of the future. If you haven't seen this yet, check out Sony and Samsung's new set retail price policy on TV sets. Also Apple. Tommy Hilfiger is now exclusive to Macy's.

For those of you who may be interested, check out the 2007 Supreme Court decision "PSKS vs. Leegins" which overturned the 1911 price fixing law. Thanks for your support and

Best Regards,

Ken Lawrence
Pacific Coast Models, Inc.
www.pacmodels.com

I hadn't heard that before. Hard to imagine that Borders will be coming back anytime soon, espescially with Barnes and Noble on the ropes. I also have not seen very many new hobby shops appear. I think your idea about retail my be correct for mass appeal items like clothing and electronics, but there is also an element of changing markets. Brick and morter book stores are going to find it harder with the rise of ebooks. I would not characterize our hobby as a real growth industry. Like so many limited appeal items, the only place you can find what you need anymore is online. Heck, we don't even have a GOOD hardware store in town anymore. I have to order what I need off the net.

How many hobby shops have the finances to tie up the kind of money in inventory that these new high-dollar kits require. Even chain hobby shops limit what they put on the shelves.

Just my two cents,
Paul