Tasca M4A3E8 Korean war - out of box WW2 version ?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Tasca M4A3E8 Korean war - out of box WW2 version ?

July 11th, 2012, 6:51 pm #1

Is it possible to built a WW2 version of the M4A3E8 from Tasca out of their Korean War kit ?
I could have a good deal on a Korean War kit, but I'm not interested by this conflict.

Cheers,
Pat

July 11th, 2012, 6:55 pm #2

I think the rear deck would be the only major thing that needs changing. The torsion bars on the engine doors were not present on WW2 versions. The T80 tracks was not as common as the T66, but there are quite a few photos of M4A3E8's around.

Hope this helps,

MartinD

July 11th, 2012, 8:11 pm #3

Is it possible to built a WW2 version of the M4A3E8 from Tasca out of their Korean War kit ?
I could have a good deal on a Korean War kit, but I'm not interested by this conflict.

Cheers,
Pat
Tasca's Korean War Sherman is quite right for a WWII version as long as you leave off the following:

- Dust cover around the main gun mantle (very, very rare in WWII)
- Second antenna on turret roof (the one with the small base)
- Telephone box on rear plate
- First aid box on hull side (if one is provided)
- Reinforced hinges (rosion bars) on the engine deck

Without the above features, you'll have yourself a pretty typical late-WWII M4A3E8.

As a side note, contrary to what Tasca (and Martin) suggest, the torsion bars on the engine deck were not a Korean-era feature, but were added later.

Cheers!

Hervé "Charby" Charbonneau
Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

July 11th, 2012, 9:11 pm #4

Was very rare on WWII tanks as well.

July 11th, 2012, 9:48 pm #5

I completely forgot about the exhaust deflector!

Well, I wouldn't miss out on a good deal just because of that. At worst, if the kit doesn't have the original WWII-style deflector, I could probably supply you with one from a DML kit...

Cheers!

Chicoutimi QC
Canada

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. (Bullet Tooth Tony)

July 11th, 2012, 10:44 pm #6

The non armored deflector is included so no need to source another one.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

July 11th, 2012, 10:56 pm #7

I completely forgot about the exhaust deflector!

Well, I wouldn't miss out on a good deal just because of that. At worst, if the kit doesn't have the original WWII-style deflector, I could probably supply you with one from a DML kit...

Cheers!

Chicoutimi QC
Canada

Why bother with all of the changes, as Tasca has a WWII version, granted with T66 tracks.

The torsion bars are present on Shermans photographed in Korea during the war. It's not universal, but they are there. Take care with the markings, so check photos, in Concord, for one.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

July 12th, 2012, 2:15 pm #8

Cheers,
Pat
Mr. Gannon is correct about the torsion arms. They are present on a number of Korean war Shermans.

The first aid box and the interphone are summer 1945 additions, so are not appropriate for a WW2 tank. The exhaust deflector and the gun cover are January 1945 features. Both are visible on wartime tanks, albeit on late replacements.

For some reason, the T80 tracks are more common on 105 tanks in wartime photos, but there are shots of them on 76mm tanks.

Pat
MMiR

"My friend does not worry, all friendly are fanatical of steel of the tank."

July 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm #9

Cheers,
Pat
Thanks all for your help.
Got more thant what I was expecting

cheers
Pat