Tamiya XF 57 Buff - What is it good for?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Tamiya XF 57 Buff - What is it good for?

Jeff Andrews
Jeff Andrews

December 9th, 2003, 9:54 pm #1

I am confused as to just what Tamiya means by Buff.
Anyone care to explain what it's good for?

I understand it's paint but the name is strange.

Is this stuff just acrylic dirt colored paint?

Oh and one more thing...can it be sprayed?

Thank you for any info.

Matt Clemente
Matt Clemente

December 9th, 2003, 10:14 pm #2

Yes Buff CAn Be Sprayed, it Just has to be thinned to milk consistancy like over Tamiya Paints.

Buff is like a lighter color of Khaki, What it is good for on Vehicles is the Seats or Canopies that cover the vehicles, it is also good to dry brush on something you painted Khaki. Also it is good for Figures, especially German Paras AKA Fallschrimajer from WWII on Parts of their Clothing, I'm Sure you could also use it when painting skin if you mix it with another color properly for a good shade.

And Since you mentioned it being dirt colored I'm Sure it could be used for a ground color.

Robert Skipper
Robert Skipper

December 10th, 2003, 1:13 am #3

Thank you for any info.
I remember an article (it must be old as I think it was before I deployed) in which the author first painted the tires Tamiya Filed Gray (actually kind of greenish) and then Buff, and used charcoal for reblackening the high wear areas. Looked convincig enough to me.

December 11th, 2003, 1:59 pm #4

Thank you for any info.
I use it thinned down for a fime dust coat on windows, etc. It works great for lightening paint as well.