Tamiya USMC M60A1

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Tamiya USMC M60A1

February 27th, 2012, 3:58 am #1

I happened to get one of these this past weekend, and outside of the crappy motorized hull on it, any other issues with the kit? How does the Reactive armor setup compare with the real deal? Is it worth it to use it with an Esci M60A1 kit?

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

February 27th, 2012, 6:15 am #2

with new road wheels and ERA. The Esci M60A1 only comes with the older style air cleaners so you'll have to swipe those from the Tamiya kit. I kind of like the Tamiya turret better than the Esci one, but that's just me. Esci kit + Tamiya ERA is probably the best way to arrive at a good Desert Storm tank.

Smooth vs. finned road wheels is another issue that might need to be dealt with. My A3 had a mix, but I think USMC A1s had steel.

RobG
RobG

February 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm #3

I happened to get one of these this past weekend, and outside of the crappy motorized hull on it, any other issues with the kit? How does the Reactive armor setup compare with the real deal? Is it worth it to use it with an Esci M60A1 kit?

Tamiya's applique armor is quite simplified on the inside and in fact most of the posts are missing. The way it fixes to the turret is toylike. I couldn't bring myself to use it except on a "M60A4" What-if build. The Academy applique has all the posts and you have the option of the notched inert boxes seen in most photos. Active boxes may not have been used at all spots all the time even in combat?

There is at least an attempt at the climbing handles on the turret sides. The Academy hull doesn't have HUGE gaping holes, solid fender braces and that spurious telephone box on the rear fender either.

It's the poor craftsman who blames his materials.

February 27th, 2012, 12:58 pm #4

I`m working on A M60 build and started with the ESCI kit. and then moved to adding Tamiya parts. If I was going to do it again I would just stick to the Tamiya kit. There are good aspects with both but for me the Tamiya would do the job. Def make good upgrade parts for the m60 check that stuff out.

February 27th, 2012, 5:00 pm #5

These are from Fort Hood, but, I can't remember what year right now.

Respectfully,

Allen

February 27th, 2012, 9:47 pm #6

Hi Folks!

Be carefull of those Army 60s at Fort Hood. Those were test vehicles for mounting ERA on the 60s in Korea which the Army wasn't going to replace with M1s.
The Army ERA kits made it as far as the port of Long Beach CA when the Army changed the plan.
The USMC who was not planning on buying M1 (105 verison) picked up the kits and with a FEW CHANGES mounted them on their M60A1s.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

email: remove the .xxx

Last edited by RoyALingle on February 27th, 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2012, 4:01 am #7

with new road wheels and ERA. The Esci M60A1 only comes with the older style air cleaners so you'll have to swipe those from the Tamiya kit. I kind of like the Tamiya turret better than the Esci one, but that's just me. Esci kit + Tamiya ERA is probably the best way to arrive at a good Desert Storm tank.

Smooth vs. finned road wheels is another issue that might need to be dealt with. My A3 had a mix, but I think USMC A1s had steel.

RobG
NT

February 28th, 2012, 10:58 am #8

Hi Folks!

Be carefull of those Army 60s at Fort Hood. Those were test vehicles for mounting ERA on the 60s in Korea which the Army wasn't going to replace with M1s.
The Army ERA kits made it as far as the port of Long Beach CA when the Army changed the plan.
The USMC who was not planning on buying M1 (105 verison) picked up the kits and with a FEW CHANGES mounted them on their M60A1s.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

email: remove the .xxx

Were not just for Korean M60's but also National Guard M60A3's. My unit was issued the welding equipment and manuals in preperation of updating our M60A3's. No one was looking forward to installing all those rods. We never had to as the Army cancelled it.

The manuals had the USMC codes to place them in their logistical system so the same manuals for installation were used for both the proposed Army and actual Marine use?

It's the poor craftsman who blames his materials.

February 28th, 2012, 1:59 pm #9

Back in 1988 or 89, the 8th ID was to get ERA for our A3s but we ended up getting M1A1s instead. Somewhere, I've got the old manuals they gave us.

RobG
RobG

February 28th, 2012, 2:50 pm #10

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/greg_s ... _rise_era/

Cheers,
/E