Tamiya Spray Booth

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Tamiya Spray Booth

Johnny Baptiste
Johnny Baptiste

August 16th, 2004, 8:43 pm #1

I'm thinking of buying one of these for spray work - I've found a supplier who is selling the Tamiya booths for 85 British pounds incl shipping.
Just wondering if anyone here has used them - are they any good?
I have not yet come across a bad Tamiya product but i'd like some views on it -Good or Bad. Also, some advice on compatability as i'm in the UK.

We use 240 Volts and the booth runs off 110 Volts - would i only need an adaptor with two-pin (Japan?) to 3-pin (UK) function or do i need something more complicated...
I hope my description is understandable!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ATB, Johnny.

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

August 19th, 2004, 10:37 pm #2

Why pay 85 pounds for something that you can build for less than half of that?

I saw the same spray booth in the states for about $140 two years ago. I found that I could build one for less than $60. I went to my local DIY (Home Depot) for an exhaust fan and dryer vent hose. Then I went to Wal-Mart and got a plastic storage tub, a flourescent light and an AC strip.

Took me about two hours to cut the hole for the exhaust fan, install the fan and hose and wire the thing up.

Works like a charm.

Steve

Johnny Baptiste
Johnny Baptiste

August 23rd, 2004, 7:04 pm #3

Thanks for your ideas Steve.
I think you are right. I should build my own as i like the challenge of building things myself. After all, this is what modellers do! Thanks for your inspiration.
I may even post a pic of my contraption.......
Thanks, Johnny.

Anthony Yu
Anthony Yu

August 24th, 2004, 10:01 pm #4

I'm thinking of buying one of these for spray work - I've found a supplier who is selling the Tamiya booths for 85 British pounds incl shipping.
Just wondering if anyone here has used them - are they any good?
I have not yet come across a bad Tamiya product but i'd like some views on it -Good or Bad. Also, some advice on compatability as i'm in the UK.

We use 240 Volts and the booth runs off 110 Volts - would i only need an adaptor with two-pin (Japan?) to 3-pin (UK) function or do i need something more complicated...
I hope my description is understandable!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ATB, Johnny.
Before you run out and buy your fans, give these a look:

http://modelpaint.tripod.com/booth2.htm
http://www.interlog.com/~ask/scale/tips/booth.htm

You want to pay attention to the fan selection part. The last thing you want is your near complete kit going up in smoke...literally.