Tamiya Sherman Firefly track length dilemma - ideas?

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tamiya Sherman Firefly track length dilemma - ideas?

June 19th, 2012, 6:34 am #1

In assembling the first set of tracks with the aid of a rubber band, the track appears to be too short by about half a link.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

New to armour, and yes - the sloping length is in backward in the pics. Fitting it in the proper direction doesn't change the gap though. Might this be a well-known problem with this kit, or am I missing something obvious? Any magic fixes much appreciated. Cheers, Ralph.
Last edited by RalphRiese on June 19th, 2012, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 9:18 am #2

,Cant say why, but i have not had any drama's with the kit except for putting them on the wrong way ,the only suggestion i have is double check you have the right bits in the right place, hope it help's wayne

June 19th, 2012, 2:19 pm #3

In assembling the first set of tracks with the aid of a rubber band, the track appears to be too short by about half a link.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

New to armour, and yes - the sloping length is in backward in the pics. Fitting it in the proper direction doesn't change the gap though. Might this be a well-known problem with this kit, or am I missing something obvious? Any magic fixes much appreciated. Cheers, Ralph.
I think you've set the track joints too tightly togeather. The Tamiya tracks need to be spaced very slightly apart generally to avoid the problem you've got.

My solution is Tamiya Extra Thin Cement which gives a few seconds fudge time to adjust them. I use an offcut of brass sheet to act as a spacer it's between 10 and 5 thou thick.

June 19th, 2012, 2:36 pm #4

Hi

Question, how did you build the tracks?

I have been told of problems with ANY link and link or Link and length track if you part assemble them ie sprocket, idler, top run and bottom run, or any combination. And then try to join the the sections together. What happens is that as the glues dries it pulls the links tight togehter and the result is a gap likwe you have.

I think Tim has the best solution, or as asked has a part been mis assembled?

I have built the Tamiya M4 and had no issues with tracks.

hope this helps
Andrew

June 19th, 2012, 4:38 pm #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Nick is right, you have to assemble the Sherman series tracks with a little space - I never clean up the joining surfaces now that I know about this, and if you pick up .005" in each joint that is .100" over 20 joints, a big change. Making sure not to tighten the idler bends is important too. A trick I have come up with for these series of kits kit is to assemble the idler bends on a spare sprocket - to set the right spacing - and will fit the idler perfectly when popped off after they dry.

For another approach, Tim Perry has recommended cutting the idler free, letting the tracks set its final position. This duplicates the eccentric axle used to tension the tracks on the real thing.

You look pretty far along though - do you still have any of the Legend spare track - you can cut a couple of extra links pit of that. If not I have a big spares collection, if you email me off line I may have a couple odd links, but they may be from other patterns of track - moat are Fighting 48th left overs.

LMK,

Konrad

June 20th, 2012, 5:45 am #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Many thanks Gentlemen - I did indeed glue the links very snugly. I'll heed your advice about allowing small gaps between links from now on. Cheers, Ralph.