Tamiya M51 WIP part 2...

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Tamiya M51 WIP part 2...

January 17th, 2012, 6:59 am #1

The build is nearing completion. I still have to do some minor cleanup, fill a couple of seams, add some welds, add some tow hooks in rear hull area, add crew stowage, and I haven't decided if I am going to be putting straps on the water cans and tools.

It is practically an OOTB build except for: repositioning the gunner figure as the TC, putting standoff rods on the water can holders and tool boxes, used the DML plastic water can holders instead of the molded on stuff that came with the kit, using DS tracks, exchanged the kit 50 cal for the Academy version, added a wire antenna, added some casting numbers to turret and tranny cover, added some TWS clamps on tranny cover, added mud guard support brackets on tranny cover, added metal wire handles wherever needed, added some bolts to the idler wheel mounts, added some detail to the rear hull access doors, added fire extinguisher handles on the engine deck, added DML drilled out hull 30 cal, removed one of the spare wheels, and added wear to all the wheels except one.

Guys, do I need to add a pad to the inside of the TC hatch?

January 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

Get her painted! Have fun. Dave

January 17th, 2012, 6:13 pm #3

The build is nearing completion. I still have to do some minor cleanup, fill a couple of seams, add some welds, add some tow hooks in rear hull area, add crew stowage, and I haven't decided if I am going to be putting straps on the water cans and tools.

It is practically an OOTB build except for: repositioning the gunner figure as the TC, putting standoff rods on the water can holders and tool boxes, used the DML plastic water can holders instead of the molded on stuff that came with the kit, using DS tracks, exchanged the kit 50 cal for the Academy version, added a wire antenna, added some casting numbers to turret and tranny cover, added some TWS clamps on tranny cover, added mud guard support brackets on tranny cover, added metal wire handles wherever needed, added some bolts to the idler wheel mounts, added some detail to the rear hull access doors, added fire extinguisher handles on the engine deck, added DML drilled out hull 30 cal, removed one of the spare wheels, and added wear to all the wheels except one.

It's looking good. I do have two suggestions. 1)Change the front light guards and siren guard for some pe ones or thin the plastic ones down. 2) Change out the kit's plastic head light lenses with some MV Lenses or similar product.

Jim Guld
Cheers
Jim Guld

January 18th, 2012, 5:18 am #4

Get her painted! Have fun. Dave
I can't wait to see some of the really good modelers attacking this thing.

January 18th, 2012, 5:26 am #5

Pedro,
It's looking good. I do have two suggestions. 1)Change the front light guards and siren guard for some pe ones or thin the plastic ones down. 2) Change out the kit's plastic head light lenses with some MV Lenses or similar product.

Jim Guld
I was in a hurry to build this one and really approached it as a learning experience to learn the strengths and weaknessess of this kit. It was never my intention to do as much as I already have to this kit. I am planning on doing one with the lower half being comprised of Tasca parts; suspension, tracks, tub etc... I hope to pull out all the stops on that one, including purchasing and using whatever aftermarket improvements I can find.

January 21st, 2012, 3:17 am #6