Tamiya link-to-link tracks on Dragon Panther--possible?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tamiya link-to-link tracks on Dragon Panther--possible?

September 18th, 2017, 1:05 pm #1

Hello everybody!
A while ago I got Dragons Panther G w/Zimmerit "in the bay" but unfortunately this kit has the (in)famous DS-tracks. Recently I saw Tamiyas 35171 tracks for panther G for a good price online.
Now my question: Can I use these Tamiya tracks on the Dragon model or is it impossible?

Thanks for help in advance
Markus

September 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm #2

Drive sprocket and wheels fit perfectly its just the idler wheel where the track-fit is a little tight. You may want to thin the back of the dragon idler a little. (You know the teeth on the Tamiya tracks are solid right?)

Regards,

Ray

September 18th, 2017, 4:27 pm #3

Hello everybody!
A while ago I got Dragons Panther G w/Zimmerit "in the bay" but unfortunately this kit has the (in)famous DS-tracks. Recently I saw Tamiyas 35171 tracks for panther G for a good price online.
Now my question: Can I use these Tamiya tracks on the Dragon model or is it impossible?

Markus
Depending on how good the price on the Tamiya tracks is i would suggest a set of Bronco Late Panther tracks. Exactly like the Dragon magic tracks with hollow moulded on guide horns. They are One piece tracks that fit really well. I used a set on a Panther D some time ago. I can't remember any issue with the idler on that kit but a little sanding will be all that is required. Just looking on ebay a typical set of Bronco is around €15 compared to €20 for Tamiya so it depends on how good a bargin you are getting on the Tamiya set i guess.

Dave.

September 18th, 2017, 10:14 pm #4

Hello everybody!

Markus
Markus,

I have a spare set of the Bronco tracks you can have if you want them. Send me an email to greenacres212@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,
Paul

September 19th, 2017, 7:30 pm #5

Depending on how good the price on the Tamiya tracks is i would suggest a set of Bronco Late Panther tracks. Exactly like the Dragon magic tracks with hollow moulded on guide horns. They are One piece tracks that fit really well. I used a set on a Panther D some time ago. I can't remember any issue with the idler on that kit but a little sanding will be all that is required. Just looking on ebay a typical set of Bronco is around €15 compared to €20 for Tamiya so it depends on how good a bargin you are getting on the Tamiya set i guess.

Dave.
Hello Dave;
thanks for the info. I was looking for Panther Magic tracks and came across the Tamiya ones by chance. So I wanted to know if they could be used because they were the only ones offered at ebay.
Now I think I'll get the Bronco tracks.
By the way, what did you mean with "a little sanding will be all that is required"?
Do I have to thin the guide horns because of the wheels thickness or did you mean that the links have mould lines to be removed?
Best wishes
Markus

September 21st, 2017, 12:04 pm #6

Markus,

I have a spare set of the Bronco tracks you can have if you want them. Send me an email to greenacres212@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,
Paul
I've got a set of the Tamiya tracks in my stash but I've not used them as they have solid guidehorns. THe Bronco ones are much better - although don't do as I did and buy the early track set when doing a late G....

September 22nd, 2017, 9:17 pm #7

Hi Mark; thanks for the info. Until recently I didn`t know that the links from Tamiya have solid guidehorns. Anyway Paul A. could help me out with a spare Bronco set (thanks Paul) for a late Panther G, so I'll use this one to portray a typical Panther of Pz.Brig.105 (just reread Timm Haaslers excellent book "Hold the Westwall...").

Best wishes
Markus

September 23rd, 2017, 9:06 pm #8

Hello Dave;
thanks for the info. I was looking for Panther Magic tracks and came across the Tamiya ones by chance. So I wanted to know if they could be used because they were the only ones offered at ebay.
Now I think I'll get the Bronco tracks.
By the way, what did you mean with "a little sanding will be all that is required"?
Do I have to thin the guide horns because of the wheels thickness or did you mean that the links have mould lines to be removed?
Best wishes
Markus
Well right now i'm building a set of Model Kastan workable Panther tracks and i had to sand the Dragon idler wheel to fit between the guide horns. Another poster above suggested you might have to do the same thing using Tamya tracks on a Dragon kit so i'm guessing that the Dragon Panther idlers might be slightly too wide to fit other manufactures track sets. Its a few years since i added my Bronco tracks to the Dragon kit so i can't recall if the idler needed sanding with those tracks but if it did then it was no big deal to do so is what i meant.

Dave.