Tamiya GB: Panzer III H - Another Week In

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tamiya GB: Panzer III H - Another Week In

June 4th, 2012, 7:03 am #1

The work appearing on this GB is just really superb - just some hugely impressive projects going on here. A major shout out to everyone participating!!

Back at the bench I have been plugging away at my GB entry, adding the hull vorpanzer, upper hull front plate, antenna mount and engine deck details. Although the Tamiya Panzer III kit has a driver's visor included, the Stug. III part is better, so I fitted it to a replacement upper hull front plate. The Vorpanzer is cut from .020" sheet.

With that done I had to come up with some tropical fittings for the engine deck. The larger vent covers were made from the kit parts, sanded on each side and on the upper face to match the slightly smaller covers used on the earlier vehicles, and drilled to replicate the fastener detail.

The smaller covers were made from some shaped stock sanded out of sprue and bits of Evergreen:

So, with that and a jerry can rack made from PE fret, here you have the state of my build:

Lots of fun here, but running out of interesting stuff to add. Have to begin working on the boring old suspension next - yawn. Should I go with the early pattern sprocket and idler wheels - have a spare set of Belcher Bits round hole early pattern sprocket - or the late ?

What about the fenders - dent them up? Cut one flap off?

Look forward to your comments,

Konrad

June 4th, 2012, 7:30 am #2

Konrad,

Congrats on the very beautiful build and very clean conversion/assembly and the perfect pics. I suspect your work will inspire others to make same thing in the future because the Ausf.H is very iconic version indeed. As for the sprocket/idler pattern I vote for late, but any would fit well. Keep us posted amigo.

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

June 4th, 2012, 9:26 am #3

The work appearing on this GB is just really superb - just some hugely impressive projects going on here. A major shout out to everyone participating!!

Back at the bench I have been plugging away at my GB entry, adding the hull vorpanzer, upper hull front plate, antenna mount and engine deck details. Although the Tamiya Panzer III kit has a driver's visor included, the Stug. III part is better, so I fitted it to a replacement upper hull front plate. The Vorpanzer is cut from .020" sheet.

With that done I had to come up with some tropical fittings for the engine deck. The larger vent covers were made from the kit parts, sanded on each side and on the upper face to match the slightly smaller covers used on the earlier vehicles, and drilled to replicate the fastener detail.

The smaller covers were made from some shaped stock sanded out of sprue and bits of Evergreen:

So, with that and a jerry can rack made from PE fret, here you have the state of my build:

Lots of fun here, but running out of interesting stuff to add. Have to begin working on the boring old suspension next - yawn. Should I go with the early pattern sprocket and idler wheels - have a spare set of Belcher Bits round hole early pattern sprocket - or the late ?

Konrad
Looking very nice ,i am assuming that this one will be a desert one ,if so i vote for the early sprocket,just cause it's very different than the kit part and look's cooler imho,have fun wayne

June 4th, 2012, 10:17 am #4

Konrad
http://roman-bizarre.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

June 4th, 2012, 12:45 pm #5

Konrad
You are party rockin this conversion Konrad....

I think the early pattern sprocket and idler wheels would look really cool, but imagine you might want to think about how you want to paint and mark this Ausf G. before making that final decision.

Keep these posts coming, as they are about the only thing in my bleak days to look forward to

Shon

June 4th, 2012, 2:01 pm #6

Konrad
Excellent build. Love the scratch job.
I like the fenders just how they are. One of the mud guards off? Why not, but I like how it looks now, anyway.

Q

http://dqscaleworks.blogspot.com/

June 4th, 2012, 3:51 pm #7

Konrad
you've done to backdate the beast, but then at the Patton Museum they had a Pz III with one of each type..... Really nice work, and this photo essay goes into the computer as a reference.....

June 4th, 2012, 6:46 pm #8

Konrad
Hi Konrad!

The sharp and precise building continues! Nice pics as well... looks like 1/24th scale!

I love it as is but to remove a fender flap always helps to give a wilder look to these heavy machines.

About the wheels... I have no idea. What does your references say?

Good Work!

Regards!
Alvaro

June 5th, 2012, 7:29 am #9

Konrad
Hat off!! .................

June 6th, 2012, 3:51 am #10

Konrad