Tamiya GB: JS-2 straggler (part 5)

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tamiya GB: JS-2 straggler (part 5)

June 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am #1

Despite starting this one with the idea of a cleanish finish, it simply looked flat to me. So after some constructive input (thanks nzdavidh), I tried copying some of Mike Rinaldi's KV-1 work pigment work. My attempt ended in a complete mess and while trying to recover it, the model decided to leap out of my hand and dive into the floor. Usual outcome - "where did all those bits come from?"; "why is there a dark purple cloud forming over the workbench?" Anyway, a day later and the hull/tracks are back together and she's gone from an OOB comp possible, to an experiment. With Mike's pics in mind, I tried to reproduce the dust accumulation with thinned Vallejo washes. The other stuff is thinned Vallejo blown on with the airbrush, and some local airbrush blending using Testors Dullcote lacquer tinted with very small amounts of Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown and XF-69 NATO Black.

Pics are rather "forced". Experimental results so far...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Very much enjoying the GB here, and many thanks for the encouragement on this one. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

June 2nd, 2012, 10:06 am #2

Hi Ralph!

My hat off to you!

From a subtle and restained finish to this! That´s what I call make up express!

After that wild start on heavy weathering, to my eye, some areas like fuel tanks, rear engine grill and, mainly, tracks make the model to look unbalanced now. But I´m sure that´s something we will see fixed in your next post!

Nice JS, Nice testbed! Nice results!

Regards!
Alvaro

June 2nd, 2012, 11:33 am #3

Despite starting this one with the idea of a cleanish finish, it simply looked flat to me. So after some constructive input (thanks nzdavidh), I tried copying some of Mike Rinaldi's KV-1 work pigment work. My attempt ended in a complete mess and while trying to recover it, the model decided to leap out of my hand and dive into the floor. Usual outcome - "where did all those bits come from?"; "why is there a dark purple cloud forming over the workbench?" Anyway, a day later and the hull/tracks are back together and she's gone from an OOB comp possible, to an experiment. With Mike's pics in mind, I tried to reproduce the dust accumulation with thinned Vallejo washes. The other stuff is thinned Vallejo blown on with the airbrush, and some local airbrush blending using Testors Dullcote lacquer tinted with very small amounts of Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown and XF-69 NATO Black.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Very much enjoying the GB here, and many thanks for the encouragement on this one. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.
I like what I see! As for the ballance, I think the engine deck is too dark now. In the front of the hull and on the mudguards the lighter dust tones making it look like a flat dusty coat on the green metal. And this is a nice contrast. But the engine deck look's like a brown painted something. I think here you can achieve a nice contrast as well, with adding mode dry, light colors, and making some fuel stain effects.
Good work so far! Keep going!

Regards
Archy

June 2nd, 2012, 3:41 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Ralph,

Also me is much impressed by your brave move. It's quite unusual to see one modeller making a such a deep change on the finishing on the move which says a lot of you. Regarding the weathering I believe you are moving in the right directin and I like much more the model now. As for that brown rear deck I think that will make a nice contrast once you place the turret.

Looking forward to seeing your next update. You have all my respects amigo.

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

June 2nd, 2012, 8:41 pm #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I articulary think that in some parts of the vehicle, the effects are really impressive! I just miss a little bit more dust and dirt on those tracks to achieve the TOTAL perfect result!

June 3rd, 2012, 5:47 am #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Don't stop now Ralph she's starting to look good and dirty.A bit more dirt on the lower hull might be in order ,as this bit looks a bit to clean.Keep trying with Mike's methods as they do work,but i too have had some shockers,but with most pigments they can be washed of allowing you to start again.Look forward to seeing how you proceed with the next step ,have fun wayne

June 3rd, 2012, 8:48 am #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Many thanks Gentlemen - comments much appreciated. Cheers, Ralph. n/t.

June 3rd, 2012, 9:22 am #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

WOW that's some impressive weathering

June 3rd, 2012, 9:53 am #9

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

June 3rd, 2012, 5:49 pm #10

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

http://www.modellbaufreunde-siegen.de/index.html