Tamiya GB --> AB41

May 16th, 2012, 2:14 pm #1

Finally got some time to post pics...I apologize for their quality ahead of time, am in the process of moving everything down to my new basement studio and I don't have a photobooth currently!

Managed to pick this kit up for 4 dollars(!) with the caveat that it had been "slightly started". Not a problem, just some hull work, but the previous owner was very heavy-handed with the putty. Not even sure what type it was to deal with it more effectively, so I gave it as much sanding and smoothing as I could. Here's the kit as I received it -
[/IMG]

Didn't take long to finish up the rest of the build once that was taken care of. I have to say that this kit may be in a Tamiya box, but it's definitely an Italeri kit! The fit and precision are not nearly the same.
[/IMG]

After a quick spray session with Tamiya acrylics using the kit supplied mixture:
[/IMG]

And not long after spraying both camouflage colors using highly thinned Tam acrylics:
[/IMG]

That's where she is so far. Need to paint the tires a dark gray (far too much contrast), put on both decals, and do all the detail painting before launching into the weathering!

2nd hand scores doubly.... :-D

May 16th, 2012, 2:44 pm #2

Marc,

You mentioned about the reboxed Tamiya item but I never figured a second hand kit was coming that sometimes demands more work than a sealed kit. Good work so far and stay sure the real fun starts here.

Keep us posted amigo.

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

Good start!

May 16th, 2012, 6:13 pm #3

Finally got some time to post pics...I apologize for their quality ahead of time, am in the process of moving everything down to my new basement studio and I don't have a photobooth currently!

Managed to pick this kit up for 4 dollars(!) with the caveat that it had been "slightly started". Not a problem, just some hull work, but the previous owner was very heavy-handed with the putty. Not even sure what type it was to deal with it more effectively, so I gave it as much sanding and smoothing as I could. Here's the kit as I received it -
[/IMG]

Didn't take long to finish up the rest of the build once that was taken care of. I have to say that this kit may be in a Tamiya box, but it's definitely an Italeri kit! The fit and precision are not nearly the same.
[/IMG]

After a quick spray session with Tamiya acrylics using the kit supplied mixture:
[/IMG]

And not long after spraying both camouflage colors using highly thinned Tam acrylics:
[/IMG]

That's where she is so far. Need to paint the tires a dark gray (far too much contrast), put on both decals, and do all the detail painting before launching into the weathering!
That camo will look nice once weathered.

May 16th, 2012, 6:58 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hi Marc,

You did a great job on that one, looks like you stay long time sanding putty.

Best,
Jose

May 17th, 2012, 10:00 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Mmmmmm .... love it! ... interesting camo!

Thanks a lot!

May 17th, 2012, 8:25 pm #6

There certainly was a lot of sanding to do...just hope I got all of it! Hope to have another update up soon.

To the Gallops man....

May 17th, 2012, 9:20 pm #7

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Fine work on recovering a started model Marc. Carry on with the same care with the weathering and I dare say you will end up with a cracking model

Best

Paul