Tamiya GB --> #2 - Murphy´s law!

May 21st, 2012, 8:33 pm #1

Hi!

Just for you fun and enjoyment, here you got a wonderful sample of the Murphy´s laws applied to the modelling! :D

I always found the Schwimmwagen an interesting vehicle. But I also found that any VW at war (Schwimm, Kubel and Bettle) looked more sexy with big wheels!

For the Kubel, we had the desertised one with the Kromprinz baloons.

For the Bettle, we had the Hauler resin set.

But for the Schwimm, there was no replacement. So I decided to give it a try! :D

I started looking for some wheels to take the tire from. After some time I found them in a 1/72nd scale Zil 151 truck -again, ICM!-. BTW, seems to me that was the same route that Hauler´s modelmaker took for their Bettle wheel set too.

To have a complete set of Schwimm wheels I needed to scracht the five wheels! The tire pattern is directional (that means different wheels at left and rigth) and front and rear wheels had some differences as well.

The tire pattern was not perfect but was good enough for me. So I reworked it a little and I made a tire (in two halves) with some rim details, ready to cast.

Having that tire casted, then I just had to add the inner and outer rim hubs and details.

The inner rim hub was shaved off from the Schwimm wheels. That was perfect to have a direct replacement of the kit wheels.

The outer rim hubs where taken from the Bettle wheels, that have a slightly better detail than the Schwimm ones (Thanks Lu for pointing me that!). The bolted square piece in the center of the front wheels was added from scracht.

And here you got the ten halves needed to have the five wheels, already primed and ready to cast.

With the previous, it was simple to have a complete set!

And, just to have a better view, here you got the wheels primed in a wonderful "Tamiya sprue" colour!

I finished these more or less one year ago. I gave a set to some friends that I knew had interest in the Schwimmwagen, like Joaquin Garcia and Doming Hernandez. In fact, both have already shared their bathhubs here.

But, needlees to say, Murphy came to put some order in the modelling scene and, since few months ago, now we have a simply wonderful set of resin wheels for the Schwimm, courtesy of DEF Models. If you want to have a big shoes Schwimm, go for it! 3D Printing rules!

-Of course, I wonder why I didn´t give up to make my own!-

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Last edited by Alvaro Rodriguez on May 22nd, 2012, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool!

May 21st, 2012, 8:38 pm #2

https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

A man after my own heart

May 22nd, 2012, 4:35 am #3

Hi!

Just for you fun and enjoyment, here you got a wonderful sample of the Murphy´s laws applied to the modelling! :D

I always found the Schwimmwagen an interesting vehicle. But I also found that any VW at war (Schwimm, Kubel and Bettle) looked more sexy with big wheels!

But for the Schwimm, there was no replacement. So I decided to give it a try! :D

I started looking for some wheels to take the tire from. After some time I found them in a 1/72nd scale Zil 151 truck -again, ICM!-. BTW, seems to me that was the same route that Hauler´s modelmaker took for their Bettle wheel set too.

To have a complete set of Schwimm wheels I needed to scracht the five wheels! The tire pattern is directional (that means different wheels at left and rigth) and front and rear wheels had some differences as well.

The tire pattern was not perfect but was good enough for me. So I reworked it a little and I made a tire (in two halves) with some rim details, ready to cast.

Having that tire casted, then I just had to add the inner and outer rim hubs and details.

The inner rim hub was shaved off from the Schwimm wheels. That was perfect to have a direct replacement of the kit wheels.

The outer rim hubs where taken from the Bettle wheels, that have a slightly better detail than the Schwimm ones (Thanks Lu for pointing me that!). The bolted square piece in the center of the front wheels was added from scracht.

And here you got the ten halves needed to have the five wheels, already primed and ready to cast.

And, just to have a better view, here you got the wheels primed in a wonderful "Tamiya sprue" colour!

I finished these more or less one year ago. I gave a set to some friends that I knew had interest in the Schwimmwagen, like Joaquin Garcia and Doming Hernandez. In fact, both have already shared their bathhubs here.

But, needlees to say, Murphy came to put some order in the modelling scene and, since few months ago, now we have a simply wonderful set of resin wheels for the Schwimm, courtesy of DEF Models. If you want to have a big shoes Schwimm, go for it! 3D Printing rules!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Outstanding thinking well done, The Def wheels are good (the tyres in particular)but your hubs are better.

Luke

Beautiful Work Alvaro

May 22nd, 2012, 5:34 am #4

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Those are brilliant - hard to imagine an AM product being any better.

Konrad

Perfect work :) nt But u R correct re Murphy lol

May 22nd, 2012, 6:25 am #5

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Absolutly fantastic tires n/t

May 22nd, 2012, 7:16 am #6

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Congrats my friend

Great work Alvaro

May 22nd, 2012, 10:48 am #7

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Great work here Alvaro, are these wheels going to find themself on the 392ndFS pilots Swimm?
That would be a real Hotrod in the American tradition of putting big wheels on their cars
Regards Amigo.
Alan.

Behind the magic....

May 22nd, 2012, 1:12 pm #8

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Simply wonderful.

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

Thank you very much! :)

May 22nd, 2012, 8:22 pm #9

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

I´m glad you liked it!

Once more, thank you for your kind words!

Regards!
Alvaro

Perfecto

May 23rd, 2012, 6:07 pm #10

Hi!

Have fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

Amazing job. I want some of those big donuts for my schwimm too!!!