Tamiya Ford Quad Gun Tractor colour?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Tamiya Ford Quad Gun Tractor colour?

January 11th, 2012, 6:48 pm #1

Hi gents

I've been re-reading this post http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... %26quot%3B regarding the Ford GT & it's timeframe (ca 1941), and it got me wondering if the Quad could be painted in an other colour than desert sand?
Would G3 or SSC2 for a very late Quad be an option?
The same post also mentions a pic of a couple of Quads held in store in the UK for the D-Day invasion; they don't look desert yellow, so....?

Thanks in advance

Erik Jan

January 11th, 2012, 8:55 pm #2

According to "Blue Print for Victory" - CMPs were painted in British colours from the factory depending on where they were being shipped: Those destined for service in North West Europe were painted G3 and then later SCC2, those being shipped to the Mediterranean Theatre were painted Light Stone 61 (all colours British standard formulation).

The same book shows several photos of Ford production plants showing Cab 12 Quads and other vehicles (both complete and semiknocked down) lined up and ready for shipping - clear contrast between those that were Light Stone and those (including a majority of the Cab 12 Quads in the photo) that were some other darker colour.

Tom K.
Last edited by Tom Kaszas on January 11th, 2012, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 12th, 2012, 6:34 am #3

Hi Tom

Thanks for your help, think my question is answered now

Cheers

Erik Jan

January 13th, 2012, 8:58 am #4

Hi

Was just having a look at this film of the liberation of Uden in the Netherlands during Opn Market-Garden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnXlIqq6WI

At ca. 55 seconds you can see what appears to be a Ford Quad Type 12 cab towing a 17 Pounder AT gun, or is it something different?

Cheers

Erik Jan

January 13th, 2012, 10:15 am #5

The vehicles that appear just before the 17pdr are British built Morris Commercial Quad FATs, not the Canadian Ford or Cheverolet types under discussion, sorry. As to what is actually towing the 17pdr, you can't really see enough to make a positive i/d.

January 13th, 2012, 10:36 am #6

Hi Geoffrey

I was getting my hopes up, but thanks for your input nonetheless. A Ford Quad in G3 or SCC2 is perfectly acceptable, and a nice break from SCC15 too.

Cheers

Erik Jan

January 13th, 2012, 11:46 am #7

Hi

Was just having a look at this film of the liberation of Uden in the Netherlands during Opn Market-Garden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnXlIqq6WI

At ca. 55 seconds you can see what appears to be a Ford Quad Type 12 cab towing a 17 Pounder AT gun, or is it something different?

Cheers

Erik Jan
What an excellent film! Bren Carriers, Loyd Carriers with 6pdrs; what I thought were a pair of MORRIS Quads, towing 17pdrs, a Kubel, a 'Tilly, even a Guy 15cwt[!], a Bedford Water Bowser, Humber 'Box', &, at last, I saw a Sherman fitted as a 'dozer, the first time I've ever seen one in British markings. Many thanks for the link.

Spike,.....F/GB

January 13th, 2012, 12:11 pm #8

Hi Spike

Glad you enjoyed it. I happened to stumble upon it while I was reading about Uden. It appears they are going to pull down a house in Uden, which was a former Easy Company's Commandpost (Capt Dick Winter's, Band of Brothers). No one in the town council knew about the history of the house, and now it appears it will disappear forever.... ((

Cheers

Erik Jan
Last edited by erikjaneskes on January 13th, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2012, 4:27 pm #9

Hi Geoffrey

I was getting my hopes up, but thanks for your input nonetheless. A Ford Quad in G3 or SCC2 is perfectly acceptable, and a nice break from SCC15 too.

Cheers

Erik Jan
... There is a nice clear picture of a Cab 12 FAT sporting that camo scheme outside the assembly plant in Slough England on page 142 of Gregg's "Blue Print for Victory" book.

Just a suggestion.

Tom K

Last edited by Tom Kaszas on January 13th, 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2012, 8:49 pm #10

Hi gents

I've been re-reading this post http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... %26quot%3B regarding the Ford GT & it's timeframe (ca 1941), and it got me wondering if the Quad could be painted in an other colour than desert sand?
Would G3 or SSC2 for a very late Quad be an option?
The same post also mentions a pic of a couple of Quads held in store in the UK for the D-Day invasion; they don't look desert yellow, so....?

Thanks in advance

Erik Jan
I suggest that if you are contemplating the vehicle with a No.11 or 12 cab then Khaki Green 3 or SCC.2 are OK. If you are using a No.13 cab the SCC.2 or SCC.15 for Italian or NWE service. You can of course add the 'Mickey Mouse' patterning in SCC.1 or black to either version when depicted after mid 1942.