Tamiya Firefly with Legend stowage (part 3) - reality check please.

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tamiya Firefly with Legend stowage (part 3) - reality check please.

June 22nd, 2012, 4:34 am #1

Loving the Vallejo acrylics - but need a serious reality check in terms of the general stowage colours. If they are a mile off, please yell! No idea where to take the track armour or the buckets yet. Always challenging to paint things you know nothing about. Happy to hear about any other "oh dear" issues before going too much further too.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
A light grey wash turned the brown box a nice shade of lavender (??!!).
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Learning alot here, and most appreciative of the friendly advice. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

June 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am #2

nice painting
perhaps a little too much colour variation
most of this stuff was dull khaki-ish - green
if you add too much variation and sparkling green, it is confusing to the eye.
One coloured item though is fine because it breaks monotony
perhaps consider doing the stowage on the left side in a more uniform khaki colour, with slight colour variations, or harmonizing with washes and weather
and of course, don't forget to give the buckets a hard weathering time...

just my opinion, I'm not an expert on the matter of course, these kind of things are very personnally and really characterize one's worK
A tip : look at it in the mirror, you will notice errors, unbalances etc much easier than looking at it directly on your table top.

good luck with this very nice model !

Johan

June 22nd, 2012, 11:24 am #3

Loving the Vallejo acrylics - but need a serious reality check in terms of the general stowage colours. If they are a mile off, please yell! No idea where to take the track armour or the buckets yet. Always challenging to paint things you know nothing about. Happy to hear about any other "oh dear" issues before going too much further too.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Learning alot here, and most appreciative of the friendly advice. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.
I'm assuming the subsequent stages will bring the tones a lot closer together. Right now there is too much going on... My 5c

If there's that much contrast between colours at the end it will look a bit odd, however, I suspect it is a great starting point

David's Model Pages

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale
Last edited by nzdavidh on June 22nd, 2012, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2012, 2:26 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hi Ralph!

To my taste, I like very much the assorted colours of the stowage.

I think there is no need for it but you can always add a new glaze here and there with filters with different shades (cold with blue or warm with orange browns, in example) but the further wheatering and a ligth layer of dust will help a lot to unify them as well.

Good work!

Regards!
Alvaro

June 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I like the colors they only need to be shaded and weathered more.
Oh course unless the tank was used in the Desert, the crew would not hang anything on the side of the tank.
It wouldn't stay on very long.

Owen

June 22nd, 2012, 8:33 pm #6

Likewise, anything you want to keep relatively dry and mud-free would be stored where it won't get trashed. Those rucksacks are right in the path of the majority of mud that would get tossed up by the tracks. This is something that would contain personal items and wouldn't be where it could get lost in the brush.

RobG
RobG

June 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thanks again all for your time and input. The more I look at it, the more the stuff on the sides detracts from the classic Sherman lines. The "look at it in a mirror" suggestion is very interesting. Sadly the stowage is well-and-truly fixed on, so I'll put this one down to lack of research commitment on my part. Cheers, Ralph.