Tamiya Firefly with Legend stowage (part 1)

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Tamiya Firefly with Legend stowage (part 1)

June 14th, 2012, 8:30 am #1

After toying with afew OOB projects, it might be time to try something a little more lively - as seems to be more the norm here. Always liked the Firefly, so decided to have a go and add the Legend (LF4101) stowage set. I know next-to-nothing about armour, so any suggestions for a good starting "British tank green" - preferably in either Tamiya or Gunzye acrylics - would be much appreciated.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Comments/suggestions welcomed. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

June 14th, 2012, 4:35 pm #2

Hi Ralph,
I always use a mix for Tamiya suggested by Mike Starmer for British SCC No.15 Olive Drab which is;
XF61;XF62;XF3 in a ratio of 5:2:2. He also suggests a nits knacker more of the yellow for scale effect. It also helps if you do a dark wash after.
HTH.

Regards,

John.

PS. Like the way it's going so far. If it's anything like the JS it'll be a cracker.

June 14th, 2012, 10:32 pm #3

After toying with afew OOB projects, it might be time to try something a little more lively - as seems to be more the norm here. Always liked the Firefly, so decided to have a go and add the Legend (LF4101) stowage set. I know next-to-nothing about armour, so any suggestions for a good starting "British tank green" - preferably in either Tamiya or Gunzye acrylics - would be much appreciated.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hi Ralph!

It is always nice to have another Sherman in the GB, IMHO.

Those resin stowage sets from Legend seems to be quite useful to me. I bought that one some time ago for a M10, BTW.

Regards!
Alvaro

June 15th, 2012, 7:41 am #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Have you caught the amour bug Ralph ? ,look's good thus far .Have fun wayne

June 15th, 2012, 8:43 pm #5

Hi Ralph,
I always use a mix for Tamiya suggested by Mike Starmer for British SCC No.15 Olive Drab which is;
XF61;XF62;XF3 in a ratio of 5:2:2. He also suggests a nits knacker more of the yellow for scale effect. It also helps if you do a dark wash after.
HTH.

Regards,

John.

PS. Like the way it's going so far. If it's anything like the JS it'll be a cracker.
Hello John: thanks for your colour mix suggestion. Should be fun! Cheers, Ralph.

June 15th, 2012, 9:16 pm #6

Have you caught the amour bug Ralph ? ,look's good thus far .Have fun wayne
Hell Wayne: yes - the bug has been incubating for some time. Am fascinated by the differences between aircraft and armour modelling approaches. Armour guys seem to have a very keen eye for detail, and ways to bring it out. So much more to learn and here looks to be a great place to start. Hoping that some of the approaches might also be useful for aircraft modelling. So far experiments have been limited to adding texture to bombs and wheels with with Mr Surfacer. Cheers, Ralph.

June 16th, 2012, 4:12 pm #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

your Firefly shouldn't carry stowage along the hull sides. It wasn't done in NWE because the lamp posts and trees wipe it all off faster than that. Apart from which it tends to catch fire quickly too from hot shell splinters and tracer. You should have a long stowage bin across the rear plate, standard fitting not ammo boxes.

June 16th, 2012, 11:46 pm #8

Hello Mike: many thanks for the helpful insights. Nothing like learning from ignorant mistakes! Will certainly keep your advice in mind for the next one. Cheers, Ralph.

June 17th, 2012, 7:35 pm #9

Firefly IC and IC Hybrids (Ralph's is a IC) were based on the M4/M4 Composite which had a hole in the upper rear hull plate to insert a hand crank for engine starts. If you see a Firefly with the stowage box across the upper rear hull it is a Firefly VC which was based on the M4A4 and didn't have the same engine or hand crank feature like the M4.

June 18th, 2012, 10:41 am #10

While they may not have had a stowage box, I don,t think it was uncommon to see stowage tied to the top deck and hull. Maybe not so-much bags etc, but certainly etc tracks as armour

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale
Last edited by nzdavidh on June 18th, 2012, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.