Tamiya 1:35 Elefant sprue-shots

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Tamiya 1:35 Elefant sprue-shots

May 23rd, 2012, 3:22 pm #1

Hi all,
Here's a selection of sprue-shots of Tamiya's forthcoming 1:35 Elefant - grey plastic because it's a pre-production kit. Kit preview on the way in TMMI 201, to followed by a full-build as soon as possible!
Cheers,
Marcus

http://www.tamiyamodelmagazine.com/
http://www.militaryillustratedmodeller.com/

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

May 24th, 2012, 2:05 am #2

Some details look like they could be improved (cupola looked a bit off to me?) but the rest looks good. Bet it's easy to build!

May 24th, 2012, 7:31 am #3

Hi all,
Here's a selection of sprue-shots of Tamiya's forthcoming 1:35 Elefant - grey plastic because it's a pre-production kit. Kit preview on the way in TMMI 201, to followed by a full-build as soon as possible!
Cheers,
Marcus

http://www.tamiyamodelmagazine.com/
http://www.militaryillustratedmodeller.com/

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Sorry to bring this up and I'm certain I'm going to get my butt kicked because of this, but...

considering it has no zimmerit moulded on, is not a "first time model", will probably cost U$70 to U$75 and is not a really notable improvement over what Dragon allready offers for U$ 40...
I can only say:
What a great way to waste resources, time doing research, plastic and money.
All that, Tamiya might have used to do some other AFV, be it Axis or Allied, or any post war subject.
People keep posting their wishlists here on ML but I think Mr. T simply doesn't care. Think back a little. Did we really need that Jagdtiger from Tamiya a couple of years ago? Gragon does dozens of new releases per year and people here keep bashing them. Tamiya keeps giving us a "once in a year - WOW - what a great disapointment" models and gets a standing ovation.
Then, there's that price issue: Forum users keep bashing Dragon for the prices of their kits. I allways wait a couple of months and voila: the prices drop. I've never seen that happen with Tamiya models. That Char B still goes for 65 Dollars, Those Tasca Shermans still go for over 50 Dollars and people don't complain.
I really don't understand it anymore.
I would even be a lot happier to see Tamiya doing a new 1:32 Focke Wulf 190 D9 and I would gladly put 115 Dollars on the counter for that!
I know that buying it or not is our choice... so that means that Mr. T won't get money from me.

Yep, you guessed it, I'm a little frustrated.

All the best
Steven from Munich

May 24th, 2012, 11:06 am #4

Most of the noise I've heard about it is whingeing and moaning about its release

Its not like the world of modelling is only limited to x number of releases a year and this is taking up a slot some other model will fill

For every person that complains about DML prices there seem to be at least three that complain that A) Tamiya have the timerity to release less models than their competitors and B) Its not the model the same person thinks would be a much better model

Companies are not state run services or charities. They can release whatever they want. If people don't like it; use the power of market economics and vote with your wallet. If Tamiya still continue in the same vain maybe we should look at our assumptions about what is popular and sells, or even what we think should sell and accept the possibility, maybe, that the assumptions might be wrong

I speak as someone who previously bashed DML for always releasing panzers and not so great allied models; then I looked at it another way and realised that because they did that, it created the conditions for other companies to take a broader view and produce more non-panzer subjects

Its the same with Tamiya: their dominance of the straightforward OOB model market (and whether you think it is or not, if the elefant is like all their previous models it WILL be buildable by someone building their first kit) means others have innovated in the more complex end of the market which has benefitted a lot of modellers looking for that kind of model

As far as I can see it we have never had less to moan about as modellers, yet we seem capable of ever greater levels of complaint. (not just your complaint Steven, but generally complaints about new models)

Chris

May 24th, 2012, 3:10 pm #5

vote with your wallet!

I will say that if i was starting out and wanted to build a model, and really wanted to build a ferdinand/elephant (because, hey it looks cool) I would probably tear my hair out in frustration if i purchased a dragon premium elephant model. so many parts, photoetch, etc.

I remember one of the first kits i purchased as an adult was and 3 in 1 251 from dragon, and it terrified me when i opened the box. never did build it... or get the box closed after opening it...

Tamiya can release whatever it wants, no ones forcing us to buy it.

May 24th, 2012, 9:07 pm #6

the Big T still do some really great kits, just wish they'd put more effort into their 1/35 line. i'm only down 'cos i love Tamiya and expect so much from them

May 26th, 2012, 1:37 am #7

Sorry to bring this up and I'm certain I'm going to get my butt kicked because of this, but...

considering it has no zimmerit moulded on, is not a "first time model", will probably cost U$70 to U$75 and is not a really notable improvement over what Dragon allready offers for U$ 40...
I can only say:
What a great way to waste resources, time doing research, plastic and money.
All that, Tamiya might have used to do some other AFV, be it Axis or Allied, or any post war subject.
People keep posting their wishlists here on ML but I think Mr. T simply doesn't care. Think back a little. Did we really need that Jagdtiger from Tamiya a couple of years ago? Gragon does dozens of new releases per year and people here keep bashing them. Tamiya keeps giving us a "once in a year - WOW - what a great disapointment" models and gets a standing ovation.
Then, there's that price issue: Forum users keep bashing Dragon for the prices of their kits. I allways wait a couple of months and voila: the prices drop. I've never seen that happen with Tamiya models. That Char B still goes for 65 Dollars, Those Tasca Shermans still go for over 50 Dollars and people don't complain.
I really don't understand it anymore.
I would even be a lot happier to see Tamiya doing a new 1:32 Focke Wulf 190 D9 and I would gladly put 115 Dollars on the counter for that!
I know that buying it or not is our choice... so that means that Mr. T won't get money from me.

Yep, you guessed it, I'm a little frustrated.

All the best
Steven from Munich

The "waste" or whatever didn't come out of your pocket did it? I don't see why people get personally invested in the business decisions of companies that don't even know they are alive.

KL

May 26th, 2012, 11:48 am #8

probably because he cares about the hobby n/t

May 26th, 2012, 6:20 pm #9

A strange answer - we all care I think nt
Last edited by ChrisDM on May 26th, 2012, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 1:45 pm #10

vote with your wallet!

I will say that if i was starting out and wanted to build a model, and really wanted to build a ferdinand/elephant (because, hey it looks cool) I would probably tear my hair out in frustration if i purchased a dragon premium elephant model. so many parts, photoetch, etc.

I remember one of the first kits i purchased as an adult was and 3 in 1 251 from dragon, and it terrified me when i opened the box. never did build it... or get the box closed after opening it...

Tamiya can release whatever it wants, no ones forcing us to buy it.
That's why it says "for experienced modelers only! I guess for beginning modelers the Tamiya price is not an issue, huh?

Jeff Adair
Adairsville Ga