Tall (thigh high) grass?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Tall (thigh high) grass?

Jeff Hedwink
Jeff Hedwink

May 15th, 2002, 3:50 pm #1

I was wondering what is the best way to immitate tall grass approximately thigh high?

Thanks

Jeff

May 15th, 2002, 6:10 pm #2

Hi Jeff,
You could try this, take an old bristle brush,
a fairly large one 2" or 3"
paint the hairs the color of grass
cut the hairs the length you want
Then either glue to base or drill holes and put in holes
Finally weather grass the color you like

Another way is to buy tall grass from manufacturer like (Woodland Scenics)
Hope this Helps
George

doug kinder
doug kinder

May 15th, 2002, 8:58 pm #3

I was wondering what is the best way to immitate tall grass approximately thigh high?

Thanks

Jeff
i was surfing the web one day and came across an article on the afv site and the material used was a material called coconut grass its used for crafts it looked very realistic and to scale i havent used it but it looks good i would try a arts and craft store to find it later doug kinder

Janne Nilsson
Janne Nilsson

May 16th, 2002, 3:49 pm #4

Thanks

Jeff
..Linen fibre for the vignette below.

Its cheap as one can get a whole wig for a couple of bucks. Its often found in plumber stores.

Cut some lumps in overlengt with a scissor. Take a small bunch between your thumb and forefinger. Again take the scissor and cut one end straight. The end you will dip in the glue.

Dip the end in white glue, dont overdo the dipping as there will be remains of glue left if one uses too much.

Press the end with the glue on the location and hold it as still as you can for 20-40 secons.

Then leave it for ca 5 minutes and when its starting to dry, you start dragin and pushing at the base to spread the straws out. That way it doesnt looks like the straws are having the same root.

When the glue has dried one can cut the grass to the desired length, trim it down and even comb it to straitghen it out and to remove straws thas hasnt been glued that well.

In the picture its in its natural colour but it can by dyed, airbrushed or drybrushed.

Hope this helps.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

jim cosides
jim cosides

May 16th, 2002, 4:39 pm #5

woodland scenes a railroad dio material has exact tall grass you need.it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. you dont need to do anything.just apply.. check your railroad shops.rgds jim

Phil Fisher
Phil Fisher

May 26th, 2002, 3:53 pm #6

Thanks

Jeff
Regular hemp rope. Unravel it, soak it in hot water then stretch it out to dry in order to straighten it.