Tall grass.

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Tall grass.

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

October 27th, 2003, 8:43 pm #1

What is the best way to make tall grass (such as in a field)? I've seen Woodland Scenics field grass...is this good or is there a better way. Also, what is the best way to keep it standing up? Should I put it into holes drilled into the ground work or glue it up..and what type of glue is best for this?

Thanks for any help

Bart.

Ken Hartlen
Ken Hartlen

October 27th, 2003, 9:11 pm #2

Hi Bart,

For the reeds in this base:

I just used paint brush bristles from a tole painting brush that I bought at the Dollar Store. I just cut them off the brush as needed, varied the lengths, and then inserted them into a hole and secured with some white glue.

I tried just putting them flush on the surface, but it was too difficult to keep them upright. If I tried to do a bunch of them and one fell over, it caused a domino effect toppling several bunches.

Ken

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

October 28th, 2003, 1:33 am #3

Thanks for the idea.

I recognize your model from the Ajax contest yesterday.

Very well done..I think you did a great job on the water.

Bart.

Ken Hartlen
Ken Hartlen

October 29th, 2003, 6:07 am #4

Thanks Bart,

I'm getting a lot of comments on the water. Believe me, it took me a while take the plunge and pour the epoxy over the base.

Did you have anything on the tables at Ajax?

Ken

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

October 29th, 2003, 1:27 pm #5

I have a diorama "the sniper" and a panther G late version.

Trevor
Trevor

October 29th, 2003, 10:00 pm #6

What is the best way to make tall grass (such as in a field)? I've seen Woodland Scenics field grass...is this good or is there a better way. Also, what is the best way to keep it standing up? Should I put it into holes drilled into the ground work or glue it up..and what type of glue is best for this?

Thanks for any help

Bart.
Buy Silflor, makes static grass look like crap. Expensive, but so much worth it with the look. Best immitation grass on the market. Stands up on it's own and comes in different lengths and colors.

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

October 30th, 2003, 1:36 am #7

Where can I get some or at least get a look at some?

Bart.

Ken Hartlen
Ken Hartlen

October 30th, 2003, 3:43 am #8

I have a diorama "the sniper" and a panther G late version.
Hi Bart,

I mentioned to my friends that I recognized your diorama on ML before Ajax, but couldn't recall how did it. Very nice work!

I kept bumping into a some of acquaintances while making the rounds, and unfortunately missed out on your Panther. Any pix?

My general impression of the show was a improved level of workmanship over last year's show. Maybe because there was no TORCAN this year.

Ken

missing-lynx team
missing-lynx team

October 30th, 2003, 9:18 am #9

Buy Silflor, makes static grass look like crap. Expensive, but so much worth it with the look. Best immitation grass on the market. Stands up on it's own and comes in different lengths and colors.
Hi Trevor,
Please use your full name when posting.
Many thanks
missing-lynx team

Tom Herling
Tom Herling

October 31st, 2003, 12:28 pm #10

Thanks for any help

Bart.
Has anyone tried using the "faux fur" commonly found at craft shops for tall grass sections?

I'm wondering if it would come out somewhat like Silflor but at a much lower price.

Tom