Takom #2113 M60A1 w/ERA USMC Desert Storm (Edit)+(Pics)

August 6th, 2018, 8:19 pm #1

Obtained a copy of the kit, just some cursory observations looking inside the box on the kitchen table. The hull and suspension with steel roadwheels/compensating idlers are from the #2090 CM-11Brave Tiger kit and will build up nicely. The Drivers hatch is correct with no turntable, having a small pivoting hatch for the Night Viewer of a Passive tank. The Drivers Night Viewer is included, the exterior objective being a clear part. The head light assemblies have separate clear parts for the lenses.
Tracks are the correct T-142 done rubber band style made of a soft black material. The center guides are in the correct location, however there is a slight seam along the end connectors with minor sink holes on the roadwheel running surface. 
T-142.jpg There are 5 sprues marked 2113 specific to this particular version of the M60A1 RISE Passive in USMC service. There will have to be many holes opened up on the turret in order to mount the ERA brackets. The ERA tiles have an oval on the back side representing Dummy tiles. The slot will need to be filled to represent Service ERA. However, only those tile backs visible along the edges might require the treatment as those in the center will not be visible. Looking at tanks in Desert Storm most had some additional storage or sand bags along the top edge of the turret side tiles so this could help the modeler if they apply same.
ERA Front Close.jpg
ERA Back Close.jpg Additional ERA mounting brackets parts K8, K9, K10 and K11 would not normally be applied to the outside of most builds turret ERA. These were on one known tank from 8th Tk Bn (Res). However, individual mounting brackets can be seen in random places on tanks having ERA applied in KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia). There were some extra brackets "found" by crewman while down at the port, applied to the outside of the tiles, used as additional storage mounting hooks. 

A jig to help assemble the styrene bars that make up the Bustle Rack frame as well as PE for the expanded mesh of the bottom and rear are included. There is also a PE frame with bolt heads for the metal that secures the mantle cover to the turret. The mantlet cover for both the main gun and cupola M85 are molded in styrene.
Turret Sprue.jpg PE.jpg
The TC and Gunners optics can be modeled in the open or closed position and is a nice touch. The Loaders periscope is present and molded in clear material. The Main Gun Bore Evacuator or "fume extractor" is in two parts and assembles to a one piece barrel. The cupola mounted M85 .50 caliber MG barrel has a nice rendition of the triangular fluted flash hider.

A DWFK (Deep Water Fording Kit) engine exhaust stack with additional rear grille door to mount it on are an option. These were not used in Desert Shield/Desert Storm yet will allow the modeler to show the tank in an Amphibious mode training in CONUS or deployed OCONUS. This kit will be easily backdated to a non-ERA hog and could be a good start for you Army Joe types and your builds.

There are four marking options included; "Beirut Payback" 3rd Plt, A Co 8th Tk Bn (Res) and the subject of the box art, "Wicked Bitch" C-12, 3rd Tk Bn, "Bummer" C-14, 3rd Tk Bn and "Genesis II" C-51, C Co 3rd Tk BN. I imagine with appropriate markings and figures it could also be an Italian hog in Mogadishu circa 1992.
MARKINGS.jpg Beirut Payback+Bummer.jpg Genesis II+Wicked Bitch.jpg
More to follow as the pieces get fitted. Kudos to Takom for tackling this subject. Happy Jarhead modeling! 

Outta here,
El Mumbo (aqui en Rio Rancho) sends . . .  
Last edited by Michael Mummey on August 8th, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

August 6th, 2018, 10:52 pm #2

Good review Mike.
Maybe in the future Takom will be doing the ‘A3s that I was on way back when.
Dan

August 7th, 2018, 8:18 am #3

Picked up 2 of them today at Spruebros. Very nice kit.

August 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm #4

Got mine yesterday.  Very nice.  Light years ahead of the old Tamiya kit and looks to be an easier build than the AFV Club kits.  Tough to beat the value for the price too.

August 13th, 2018, 2:51 pm #5

Does it look like they plan on releasing different versions? i.e. is there a crosswind sensor or LRF blister on the sprues?

We're getting a nice group of new M48/M60 series tank kits.
RobG

August 15th, 2018, 5:17 am #6

Howdy Robin, I am not seeing A3 or A3/TTS specific parts on the sprues that I can detect. Non-ERA A1 parts are not present either. Looking how Takom have approached the Mk V Panther and M3 Lee, if they do produce a M60A3 it will have the parts specific to that vehicle. I am hoping that there is a plain ol' 70s era M60A1(RISE) with Aluminum Roadwheels/Idlers, AN/VVS-3 Searchlight and Un-armored top loading air cleaners in the works. 

Miguelito, aqui en Rio Rancho sends . . .

August 15th, 2018, 3:59 pm #7

I was just wondering about that, thanks for the input Mike. I like how AFV Club added so many variant options, steel and aluminum, side loading, etc. to both the A1 and A3.  You can almost make any age variant from what's in the box.
RobG