T-80 crazyness.... WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

T-80 crazyness.... WIP

May 30th, 2012, 8:19 pm #1

so this is a "white elephant" kit i got from our austin amps club I have been trying to hammer into submission.
I Finally gave up trying to "accuratize" it as the kit is so misshapen that reference was just making me frustrated.
for example, when i was fitting the ERA blocks i would use reference, but then discover that i couldn't put as many blocks on, or had holes because the turret or hull was not the correct dimensions, but the era bricks where.

kinda wished i wired the smoke dischargers now but eh... it needs to be painted.

base kit is the dragon t-80, some photoetch, an RB barrel, miniarm ERA blocks, sector35 tracks.

I used blacken it with the tracks and had several links MELT AFTER i had taken them out and dried them. really weird. I cobbled enough together and the skirts will hie the missing links

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

links that melted:
[/IMG]

painting the track pads:
[/IMG]

vignette primed:
[/IMG]

4d printed chairs modeled by my good friend boris!
[/IMG]

some of my inspiration (source, the web.. no idea where form)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

May 31st, 2012, 5:11 am #2

The smaller pic of the soldier sitting is Bosnia if I recall.
Jon Fitzgerald built a Dio inspired by that one as well
Keep us updated

AK

May 31st, 2012, 10:28 am #3

so this is a "white elephant" kit i got from our austin amps club I have been trying to hammer into submission.
I Finally gave up trying to "accuratize" it as the kit is so misshapen that reference was just making me frustrated.
for example, when i was fitting the ERA blocks i would use reference, but then discover that i couldn't put as many blocks on, or had holes because the turret or hull was not the correct dimensions, but the era bricks where.

kinda wished i wired the smoke dischargers now but eh... it needs to be painted.

base kit is the dragon t-80, some photoetch, an RB barrel, miniarm ERA blocks, sector35 tracks.

I used blacken it with the tracks and had several links MELT AFTER i had taken them out and dried them. really weird. I cobbled enough together and the skirts will hie the missing links

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

links that melted:
[/IMG]

painting the track pads:
[/IMG]

vignette primed:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Great that you managed to make a good model out of a bad kit. I like the composition of the dio and I like the chairs

AFAIK the pic with the tanker sitting is in the Chechen city of Grozny

Pat McGrath
Work to become not to acquire

May 31st, 2012, 2:25 pm #4

also i modeled the 3d chair, the figures name is boris. he is my "chair model"

May 31st, 2012, 10:31 pm #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

links that melted:
[/IMG]

painting the track pads:
[/IMG]

vignette primed:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I think you are doing a much better job than mine.
If you want to view my T-80BV, go to Armorama, then
Forums, then 4 pages previous in forums. It is titled
Zvezda/DML T-80BV Chechnya.

I filled the gap between the clam shells to omit
the dirt skirts. I also omited fuel drums.

It did not do very well at the AMPS im Indiana.
I failed to cover a seem on the main gun.

Please keep posting your tank. It looks very
good from here.

Cheers,

John

June 1st, 2012, 12:51 pm #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

links that melted:
[/IMG]

painting the track pads:
[/IMG]

vignette primed:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Great polishing!

Stephen J. Pringle

June 1st, 2012, 1:51 pm #7

I think you are doing a much better job than mine.
If you want to view my T-80BV, go to Armorama, then
Forums, then 4 pages previous in forums. It is titled
Zvezda/DML T-80BV Chechnya.

I filled the gap between the clam shells to omit
the dirt skirts. I also omited fuel drums.

It did not do very well at the AMPS im Indiana.
I failed to cover a seem on the main gun.

Please keep posting your tank. It looks very
good from here.

Cheers,

John
yours looks pretty good! dont beat yourself up
its a dog of a kit and you should get a "modeling purple heart" for finishing it.
I swear they will release a new one once i am done with this thing

June 1st, 2012, 1:51 pm #8

Great polishing!

Stephen J. Pringle
thanks, its a good test of the current 3d printers, they turned out pretty good. not as "smooth" as a resin cast, but will work for me.