T-72 varient ID

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

T-72 varient ID

August 6th, 2012, 9:49 pm #1

Hello Gents,

This pic was taken in Chelyabinsk last month and I was wondering what the bump on the rear of the turret is for.

Any ideas?

Anto

August 7th, 2012, 7:37 pm #2

Could it be something a simple as armor added at a thin spot, or could it be an attachment for spaced armor? Or just a cover for the rear armor seam?
Maybe it's to hang a T-80 type fording tube on.

It almost looks like they needed some more room inside for the Auto-loader and this gives it more space.
It has the "big butt" armor on the back of the turret and you can see the attachment points for the rear bin. The extension is right on the center-line so I have to think it has something to do with the auto load system. You could hardly see it with the turret bin attached.

Maybe they have a new kind of missile for the gun, or a cartridge that needs more room to load. There isn't much interior space in this turret.

Always fun to figure out what the Russians are doing

Mike

August 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm #3

Hello Gents,

This pic was taken in Chelyabinsk last month and I was wondering what the bump on the rear of the turret is for.

Any ideas?

Anto

Like Michael said, it's probably to increase clearance between the rammer and the gun breech. Most likely to accommodate longer, more advanced, APFSDS rounds.

August 7th, 2012, 11:24 pm #4

Hello Gents,

Any ideas?

Anto

Hi Anthony
Interesting find, the turret appears to have some other mods as well-the (sight?) welded onto the roof in front of the empty shell opening and some kind of fitting to the right of the opening.

No idea what this version is though.

Rob

August 8th, 2012, 2:29 am #5

Hello Gents,

Any ideas?

Anto

Hi Guys,

I had thought it was to do with the auto loader as well,
But I thought there was something iffy about the shape of the rear turret
it looks off to me (Me being no expert) even if you take the strange "bump" out of it.

As for the sight... here is a front pic of it.
I have a complete walkaround of the vehicle.
Anto

August 8th, 2012, 6:10 am #6

Hello Gents,

Any ideas?

Anto

Hi Anthony

The hull definitely looks like a standard T-72, but the turret looks to have a T-64 commander's hatch.

I think this vehicle might have been shown here:

http://otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w7_2010/0063_172.htm

But the site is currently moving so the images have gone. One part of the text gives the following, but without the photos this could be a different vehicle and a red-herring!

'T-72 series turret, made in November 1973 from the turret of the T-64A (August 1973 production). The turret exterior has changed several times during the repairs. As such, the turret was installed on the hull of the T-72 (March 1975 production) This tank was used as a teaching tool in the Chelyabinsk tank institute.'

The bump looks auto-loader related, but again I'm not sure.

regards

Alex