t-34 change?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

t-34 change?

September 14th, 2011, 2:17 am #1

Guys,

I have just recieved an AFV Club T-34/76 1942 (Factory 112) and I was wondering what would be needed if I were to convert it to a Stz version (the one with the wedge shaped mantlet), I would also like too have some "spider" wheels with tyres in a couple of places.

I would like to have it as a late '42 scenario and was wondering whether the turret would have the additional armour (not the bedspring seen in Berlin).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

P

September 14th, 2011, 11:01 am #2

I haven't seen that combination. If you are simply making it up, have at it! It is a hobby after all. Yet, if you are looking for accuracy, base your model on a photo.

The 1942 STZ production (Spring or Summer since you plan to model Late 1942) would require a lot of work aside from the turret. Many details are different to include notched armor panels that interlock, different tow 'hammer' heads, bolt patterns, road wheels with internal rubber bushings, specific types of tracks seen on the STZ production tanks, and much more.

Regards,

Saúl García
Last edited by sharkmouth on September 15th, 2011, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2011, 5:04 pm #3

Guys,

I have just recieved an AFV Club T-34/76 1942 (Factory 112) and I was wondering what would be needed if I were to convert it to a Stz version (the one with the wedge shaped mantlet), I would also like too have some "spider" wheels with tyres in a couple of places.

I would like to have it as a late '42 scenario and was wondering whether the turret would have the additional armour (not the bedspring seen in Berlin).

TIA

P
It's not worth the effort. T-34s were built differently by each factory, particularly in 1942. The tanks from STZ had a different turret, different hull and different suspension from the AFV kit, which is a T-34 from Krasnoe SOrmovo. These were also used around Stalingrad, but are substantially different from STZ tanks.

If you search STZ T-34s you will find many threads. DML has a kit #6388 for the tank you describe, although the upper hull is too long by 2mm ahead of the turret ring and that spoils the fit. It can be fixed, or mated with another DML hull. STZ tanks had unique method of assembling hull plates as well as a unique style of turret and suspension. DML has another kit, #6355 that represents an STZ tank from October 1941 production batches. Either of those are better places to start to build the tank you describe... to a point.

Supplemental armour was added by all factories, briefly, but only Krasnoe Sormovo added armour to the turret. Those tanks had the small round transmission hatch, unique to Zavod No.112 and used during that period. DML has another kit, #6452 that represents that configuration. Their kit #6479 is of a later Sormovo tank, and is a direct comparison to the AFV kit.

STZ did not use rubber-tired wheels, and their steel roadwheels lacked the ring around the relief holes that appeared on similar wheels made in the Urals. UTZ and eventually ChKZ and UTZM made T-34s there which featured cast rubber wheels on the first and last axle with steel roadwheels between, as you describe. All but the very first tanks from the Ural factories had the six-sided turret and 500mm tracks in different styles. STZ continued to use steel wheels. Krasnoe Sormovo used stamped wheels throughout the war, as did Zavod No.174 in Omsk.

What you have is a decent model of a T-34 from Krasnoe Sormovo, appropriate to the period from May 1942 to mid-1943, when they finally switched to the new turret. You can place it around Stalingrad in 1942 or at Kursk in 1943, with appropriate fuel cells and other fittings. If you want a chisel mantlet and steel wheels, you're talking about a tank from STZ, which is a different animal. For that, DML gives a poor starting point, but apart from the TMD resin kit, that's what there is.

Regards
Scott Fraser

Last edited by dsfraser on September 14th, 2011, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2011, 3:42 am #4

Thanks very much Guys, really appreciate the input, I never realised there was that much difference between the two vehicles...but I guess this would beg another question, would the Russian tank units have been made up of one version of the T-34 or would the STZ and the Factory 112 been in the same unit??

Thanks again Guys

P

September 15th, 2011, 9:15 am #5

Tankers were trained in special training brigades at each factory and were issued tanks from that source when they were deployed, so a freshly-formed unit would have all its tanks from that source.

Replacement vehicles came from a park of tanks that were mostly rebuilt vehicles, held at the brigade or regiment repair battalions. New tanks generally went to new units.

As Saul says, T-34s are varied enough that to build an accurate model it is best to start from a photograph, then determine from the image what factory built the tank, and start from an appropriate kit.

Scott Fraser

September 21st, 2011, 10:25 pm #6

Guys,

TIA

P
Looking at some of my FI books, there seems to be some STZ subtypes.  Perhaps an expert can clarify? 

After the invasion, Kharkov went to Siberia, & the Stalingrad (STZ) factory came online & introduced a change to the rear of the welded turret...it became completely flat...no rounded curves. Then in late Spring/42, STZ changed the front of the welded turret...it sliced off some lower front turret at 2 & 10 o'clock (think Panzer IV) to create some flat angled surfaces. In Summer42, STZ started making basic cast turrets & then two different styles of chisel gun mantlets began getting installed into both welded & cast. Then shortly later, the same front cutting that had been done to the welded was done to the cast.