Syrian Panzer IV question.

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Syrian Panzer IV question.

July 9th, 2011, 11:39 am #1

I am currently doing one of these circa 1967 and I was wondering if anyone might have any details of a couple of brackets that seem to be at the rear of the turret next to the turret bin?
I've been scouring google images to try and get a clear shot of these, and I think they must be non German fittings because I've never seen anything like them on wartime images or drawings.

If anyone has a clear shot, or can explain what they are I'd be very grateful.

July 9th, 2011, 12:14 pm #2

Shane,
Have you looked at the pictures of the Latrun Panzer 4? I have a nice panzer IV picture and not seeing anything special about it. Also, IDF in scale might be a place to post your search.

Mark

July 10th, 2011, 1:45 am #3

Yeah, the Latrun vehicle and a couple of period shots have provided the majority of my visual reference.
Thanks for the heads up on the IDF forum.

July 10th, 2011, 3:19 am #4

Any chance of you posting a picture of what it is you are referring to?

July 10th, 2011, 12:00 pm #5

I am currently doing one of these circa 1967 and I was wondering if anyone might have any details of a couple of brackets that seem to be at the rear of the turret next to the turret bin?
I've been scouring google images to try and get a clear shot of these, and I think they must be non German fittings because I've never seen anything like them on wartime images or drawings.

tanks came from Spain so perhaps you should look at Spanish Panzer IVs.

A man can't have too much info' on the Spanish Civil War

July 10th, 2011, 3:58 pm #6

The Syrian Pz IVs came from France.

July 10th, 2011, 10:24 pm #7

I found this photo of a Syrian Panzer IV on the net a long while back. Not sure if it will help you, but definitely has a certain interest factor if you've never seen this pic before.

BRgds,
ED"Frogman"Okun

[/IMG]

July 11th, 2011, 6:24 am #8

I think both of you are right. France did sell Panzer IV Ausf. H to Syria. Another batch came from Spain. The latter was a batch produced by 1943 and contained the occasional Stug. Several sources also mention Czechslowakia supplying Panzer IV's to Syria. I assume Syria's Panzer IV's were mainly Ausf. H and J's.

July 11th, 2011, 11:37 am #9

of Defence believes it sold some of their Panzer IVs to Syria. No details of the version however nor any on mods' made in Spain.

One of the museum exhibits in Spain has been (is being?) returned to running order.

A man can't have too much info' on the Spanish Civil War

July 11th, 2011, 11:48 am #10

I found this photo of a Syrian Panzer IV on the net a long while back. Not sure if it will help you, but definitely has a certain interest factor if you've never seen this pic before.

BRgds,
ED"Frogman"Okun

[/IMG]
on the back of the turret above where the gun barrel is sitting.
Apparently there is another on the other side as well and what they are for I have no idea!

As for the origins of Syria's Panzer IV's. I beleive from what I've found on the net that all of you are correct. It seems Spain, France and Czechoslovakia all seem to have provided batches of them over time (no specific details on when and how many though)
What else was interesting was a claim that Syria then forwarded some of them onto Cuba at a later date. The first I've heard of Cuba having Pz IV's.

Thanks for all of the input, it is much appreciated.